• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
The difference, other than being $30 cheaper, is in the firmware. Everything else is identical. The bootloader will be unlocked (or at least unlockable)... allowing for easy rooting and installing custom ROMs. So attracted to this phone am I for THAT reason that I will factory reset my brand new, still-in-the-box Verizon Note 4 and turn it back in to Verizon. I will then order the Dev Edition from Samsung.

:)

Upvote 0
Ruh Roh.

The Developer Edition Note 4 page at Samsung is DOWN! This is either a "Sorry, all our pre-orders are sold out" thing or a "Sorry, VZW threw a hissy fit and we've decided not to sell this device" thing. I'm not sure which, but I'm glad I didn't send my Note 4 back yet!

:(

EDIT: YAYYYY!

Samsung sent me an email saying that my backordered "mobile accessory" was ready for purchase! But when I went online, the item was still listed as backordered.

It's my phone and I need it NOW! :p

So I called Sammy customer service to resolve the disconnect between the email and the webpage... and (name withheld to protect the guilty) told me that Samsung does not sell phones directly, and that I should talk to Verizon.

WRONG ANSWER!

She said the only thing Samsung sells online is mobile accessories... which will explain why, on my order page at Samsung.com, the "GN4 Developer Device" is listed under Accessories! That's apparently how they get around "not selling phones directly" :rolleyes:

Problem is, the Mobile Accessories department isn't open on Sunday, so I have their toll-free number and I'm itching to call them.

Tomorrow.

Morning.

EARLY.

EDIT 2: To answer your question, Question, YES. It should arrive with a lot less bloat. As in NONE. Dev Edition devices are generally pure, unlocked versions of the same device that Verizon sells (while making huge $$$ on the side loading it up with bloatware). Now if, for some strange reason, it DOES arrive at your door bloated: be at peace! With an unlocked bootloader, it'll be a snap to root and remove all that bloat (better yet, freeze it all with Titanium Backup... some bloatware are system apps that might wreak havoc if removed).

Reactions: question729
Upvote 0
Okay folks, the Developer Edition phones are available! That's the good news!

The bad news is that getting one ordered is completely discombobulated! :thinking:

The really good news is that I'm about to tell you how to do it! I learned this little trick from urmcgwy at XDA:

NOTE: I previously pre-ordered this so I had the ability to do this. If you have, in the past week, gone to the Samsung site and saw the Developer Edition Note 4 with "add to cart", this should work. Otherwise, your mileage may vary.

First of all, log into your Samsung account and go to your Cart. It should be empty. But underneath it is a link to the Mobile Accessories cart. click on that and make sure it's empty.

Now open a Google search page and do a search for N910VMKEVZW

Do a cached search through your Google history back to the time it was available, and click on it. The cached page with "Add to Cart" should appear. You know what to do:

ADD IT TO THE CART! :D

From that point forward, you proceed to checkout, fill in blanks (I had to really, really... exaggerate and embellish my "developer" record for the required fields), enter method of payment and buy the thing.

And that's it! I hope it's as easy for you as it was for me. Kudos to Keisha at Samsung, who was fighting with the warehouse and basically banging her head against the wall trying to figure out how to get this ordered. Samsung, if you're reading this, that lady deserves a raise :)

Good luck!

Upvote 0
I take it that the Developers version is only limited to Verizon. No other carrier gets a developer version, correct?

TS

At least THIS one, the first one, is for Verizon. Possibly a dig on their insistence for locked bootloaders ;)

No guarantee that other carriers won't be offered... no guarantee that they will.

Upvote 0
This is true, but too bad other carriers don't have a version also.

TS

I'm not holding my breath either,I'm resigned to the normally-aspirated version on T-Mobile or the NOTE EDGE.

Last couple of days been leaning towards the standard NOTE4,with the narrower grip & extra 200 mAh on the battery trumping the edge screen,as cool as it may be.

The stores in my area can't keep stock,selling out the day it arrives,shipments coming in a couple hrs from now.

If some NOTE4's are in the shipment,I'll prolly head out & pick one up today,only to have a Developer Edition arrive on T-Mobile after the return window expires........ :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This is the lowest priced GALAXY NOTE 4 available off-contract for any US carrier, & an unlocked Developer Edition no less.

The only way you're gonna get a NOTE 4 cheaper is on-contract & it's not gonna be an unlocked Developer Edition.

I only meant that this thing was up on Samsung's site for about $660 or something earlier. Now it's at $699.99, same price that Verizon is selling their locked up version off contract for.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I only meant that this thing was up on Samsung's site for about $660 or something earlier. Now it's at $699.99, same price that Verizon is selling their locked up version off contract for.

Nice price. I wonder if anyone was able to get one @ that price before it got yanked down.

On my way to look at a normally-aspirated White model on T-Mobile as we speak.
Not usually a fan of white phones, but,that's all that's available locally ATM.
I don't keep any phone for very long anyhoo, so, as long as it doesn't look like something left behind by a flock of seagulls, I'll pick one up.

Upvote 0
Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

I got my box from Samsung! Imagine my shock, stun and surprise to find THIS inside:

Note3DevEdition.jpg

So what's wrong with this picture?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I immediately called Samsung and I hope that the rep was as genuinely concerned as he sounded at getting this fixed.

I also got the wireless charging receiver for the Note 4 so I look forward to installing it...

IF I EVER GET THE DARN PHONE!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones