• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Verizon's RUU for the Official 2.1 for Droid Eris

I cant really see on my eris but will look when i get home. Is it a before and after pic? If so what does it say under firmware version exactly in the after? also did you come from 2.1v3?

EDITED: Pic is after

When the photo pops-up after clicking, click it again and you will get the fullsize version in your browser (you might need to click once again to see at full res in your browser). I just did this and there's greater detail at full res.

Upvote 0
PROBLEM!!!

I start the program and it tells me that I am going from 2.26.605.4 and that I will be upgrading to 2.36.605.1. It starts the upgrade process then quits out with a 132 Signature Error.

I am on a v3 Leak. What the hell is going on?

BTW I have been on these forums for about a month now. You guys are very helpful and I appreciate all I have learned about the phone.

Any input? Thanks so much.

Upvote 0
Conflipper on XDA posted a link to what appears to be Verizon's RUU (ROM upgrade utility) for the official 2.1:

xda-developers - View Single Post - RUU_Desire_C_Verizon_WWE_2.36.605.1_release_signed _with_driver.exe

So if you're currently on a leak and desperately want to have the "official" software, maybe this is what you've been waiting for.

Disclaimer: DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU EVER WANT ROOT! Only people on a "leak" should bother with this.

As expected, the ROM within the RUU is completely identical to "leak v3." However, it's much easier for non-technical folks to flash using the RUU than using the zip-on-card method. If you're on leak v1 or leak v2, this is the easiest way to upgrade to v3, which is the same as the OTA.

Thanks, really appreciate the info. I posted it on my site over at droid-eris.com and made mention of you and the XDA poster as well.

Thanks again, much appreciated..

Upvote 0
I'll quote myself...

so for those of you on leak who would like to say you have the "Official" 2.1 OTA... this is for you... (although i see no point for v3 leakers to go through this as it appears this is identical to v3) This will not help leakers achieve root because leakers have BootLoader 1.49 and there is no root for that BootLoader. This RUU does not change your BootLoader.

Upvote 0
PROBLEM!!!

I start the program and it tells me that I am going from 2.26.605.4 and that I will be upgrading to 2.36.605.1. It starts the upgrade process then quits out with a 132 Signature Error.

I am on a v3 Leak. What the hell is going on?

BTW I have been on these forums for about a month now. You guys are very helpful and I appreciate all I have learned about the phone.

Any input? Thanks so much.

When the RUU program is running, it installs some drivers on your PC, did you notice if the driver-install messages at bottom-right of display all showed successful install?

Based on this review of ROM versions (guy installed all versions, and recorded software info), you definitely have v2 not v3 (that is, 2.26.605.4 is v2). This assumes the program is reading your current version correctly. Check your software info on phone to make sure it's 2.26.605.4, if so, its v2

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/87118-reference-what-htc-rom-do-i-have.html

If you continue to receive the error, I suppose you could flash the v3 "leak" (using the original leak-install method and then use the RUU to go official).

Upvote 0
This may be a dumb question, but do you just flash this as you would for one of the leaks? Does it have to be renamed PB00IMG or anything in order for it to work? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

A RUU (ROM update utility) is Verizon's official way to flash a phone using a PC. This does not involve using SD card and holding volume-down + power.

The RUU file installs some drivers on your PC, you connect your phone to you PC's USB port, a flash utility screen shows on your PC display... warns you that this will wipe your phone, asks to proceed, verifies your current version # and what the post-install version # will be (if you are on v3 leak, those version #s will be identical).

You will see a progress bar on PC and after a few minutes, the flash is complete.

Reactions: chilangoblanco
Upvote 0
This RUU does not change your BootLoader.

I want to clarify that: If you're already on a leak, the RUU does not change your bootloader. However, if you were to use this with HBOOT 1.46 or 1.47 S-ON (Android 1.5 or 2.1OTA) or HBOOT 1.49 S-OFF (root), it would upgrade your HBOOT to 1.49 S-ON, which can't be rooted. Hence, don't use this unless you're already on a leak.

It starts the upgrade process then quits out with a 132 Signature Error.

Re-download the file. Make sure it downloads completely.

This may be a dumb question, but do you just flash this as you would for one of the leaks? Does it have to be renamed PB00IMG or anything in order for it to work? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

No, you run this on a Windows 32-bit computer with your phone attached via USB. This is the software they use at Verizon if you return your phone or ask them to upgrade it. (This is also what they ran on those 5/15/10 refurbs that are going out with 2.1 already on them.)

I've downloaded the file, thanks! I am on V3 leak and have no issues......not sure if I want to mess with it at this point? I would like to be on the official update to be sure I get any future updates....probably mess with it tonight.

If you're on v3, there's absolutely no reason to run this unless you want the psychological feeling of a "fresh start."

Upvote 0
Did the update last night, worked fine. Also, disappointed that this version still has the silent call bug. But whatever. I'm OFFICIAL now... (I feel no different) :)

I'm telling ya...just take your phone to the store and have them swap it out. I was really hesitant to do it for so long because I could never reproduce the problem at will...but I figured that I had nothing to lose and it was really bugging me. I was lucky enough to have gotten a nice rep and he didn't even test the phone to see if the bug happened. He looked up the problem in his computer and swapped out my phone right there in the store.

Now I'm running a rooted Eris and so far, things have been wonderful. I'm really hoping the silent bug doesn't show up again!

Upvote 0
I'm telling ya...just take your phone to the store and have them swap it out. I was really hesitant to do it for so long because I could never reproduce the problem at will...but I figured that I had nothing to lose and it was really bugging me. I was lucky enough to have gotten a nice rep and he didn't even test the phone to see if the bug happened. He looked up the problem in his computer and swapped out my phone right there in the store.

Now I'm running a rooted Eris and so far, things have been wonderful. I'm really hoping the silent bug doesn't show up again!

See, thats my biggest fear: my Eris is MINT and I would hate to get a refurb that not only has the silent call issue, but also other "secret" issues... I might break down though and do it. The silent call thing makes me rage...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones