• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Verizon's RUU for the Official 2.1 for Droid Eris

Download fail. It seems that whenever the download starts, it goes for a minute or two, and then just slows and stops itself. The internet isn't the problem, cause I haven't been losing my connection. It's just the download it seems.

Are you trying to download it from your phone? I tried that on Thursday about 4 times before I gave up and did it from my desktop. I was trying from my phone just to test the download and snag a copy of it for just-in-case.

But, I never got more than about 14MBs downloaded on my phone before it petered-out...

Upvote 0
Haven't tried on my phone yet. I tried it on my laptop 3 times, furthest was 60MBs. Then I moved to my desktop and I can't get past 13MBs.

If you are using IE on your laptop, you might want to switch to a different browser like Firefox or Chrome just for the download. I had no problems on IE, but I was using Windows 7 and IE 8. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
The vibration and haptic feedback stopped working on my phone, so I want to take it into Verizon for a replacement. Obviously want to erase signs that I rooted it...

I have a mac at home, so I haven't been able to use the RUU program yet. I have a laptop at work I can use tomorrow though. Do I just plug the phone in via USB and run the exe program? Is there anything else more complicated I'll need to do? Don't have a ton of free time at work to take care of this so I want to make sure I understand it completely before tomorrow

Upvote 0
The vibration and haptic feedback stopped working on my phone, so I want to take it into Verizon for a replacement. Obviously want to erase signs that I rooted it...

I have a mac at home, so I haven't been able to use the RUU program yet. I have a laptop at work I can use tomorrow though. Do I just plug the phone in via USB and run the exe program? Is there anything else more complicated I'll need to do? Don't have a ton of free time at work to take care of this so I want to make sure I understand it completely before tomorrow

The RUU produces the identical result as the Leak-V3 PB00IMG.zip ROM install, and the latter method does not even require a PC to do it - just download it directly to your phone, move it to the /sdcard folder using a file manager.

If you get a "Main Version is Older" message using the HBOOT install method, then you will need to first perform jcase's "Flash any RUU" method** first - look for it in the XDA dev forum (Also , note that condition means that the RUU method would have failed for exactly the same reason). It requires the use of ADB, but MAC versions of the SDK are readily available.

In short, you don't need a windows PC to do this. I would try to get started today - if you run into the "Main Version is Older" problem, it will take you a little bit of time to come up to speed on getting adb running on the Mac - and you will have lost a day waiting to use the PC, by assuming that "the easy way will work"

eu1

** There is a mistake in the OP of the jcase "Flash any RUU" thread over on XDA- make sure to read down several posts in order to find the correction

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
if i need to go back to stock due to a warranty exchange, do i just flash this like i would a custom ROM?

If you mean the leak PB00IMG, no - you run it from the bootloader, not from Recovery. EU1 posted a link to instructions a few posts above.

If you mean the RUU, no, you run that from a Windows PC with the phone attached and running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones