• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Versatile little device

Anthony2816

Nov 29, 2010
I'm still tickled with how many former electronic devices I've owned that are now replaced by a single Samsung Fascinate:

1. Cell phone
2. MP3 player
3. GPS unit.
4. eBook reader (Kindle, Google books, etc.)
5. Handheld game console (Gameboy Advance SP)*
6. Electronic dictionary
7. Calculator
8. Clock/stop watch
9. Digital camera (still & video)
10. LED flashlight
11. Electronic language translator
12. Video player

I've really bought and owned all of the above.

And then there's all the functions it has that I've never had in a handheld device; most notably, a web browser, email, barcode scanner, etc. It even holds images of those little key-ring cards that I used to carry in my wallet.

*In addition to games made for the phone, I have a Gameboy Advance emulator with *all* the games ever released for it.

I'm still tickled with how many former electronic devices I've owned that are now replaced by a single Samsung Fascinate:

1. Cell phone
2. MP3 player
3. GPS unit.
6. Electronic dictionary
7. Calculator
8. Clock/stop watch
10. LED flashlight

And then there's all the functions it has that I've never had in a handheld device; most notably, a web browser, email, barcode scanner, etc. It even holds images of those little key-ring cards that I used to carry in my wallet.

*In addition to games made for the phone, I have a Gameboy Advance emulator with *all* the games ever released for it.

Nice post, Anthony.

Reactions: Anthony2816
Upvote 0
Oh, I'd never even thought of that.

It's really nice...search the Market for "Key Ring Reward Cards". Not only does it rid your key ring (or in my case, wallet) of those little cards, but it also alerts you to specials from the stores you frequent...for me, that's CVS and Rite Aid pharmacies, Safeway, Sears, Petsmart and Petco. Six cards that I'm now still carrying, but with a thinner wallet.

Reactions: AlissaLL3 and saps
Upvote 0
It's really nice...search the Market for "Key Ring Reward Cards". Not only does it rid your key ring (or in my case, wallet) of those little cards, but it also alerts you to specials from the stores you frequent...for me, that's CVS and Rite Aid pharmacies, Safeway, Sears, Petsmart and Petco. Six cards that I'm now still carrying, but with a thinner wallet.
Holy Moly Batman. So let me understand this. You basically barcode scan your Safeway card in and then at the grocery store they swipe your phone? This is potentially awesome where the heck have I been:eek:

Upvote 0

OMG thank you for this!
10 mini cards and 4 normal sized all scanned.
Petco had some issues but finally scanned. Seems distance can help.

Upvote 0

Tried it with my BiLo (grocery) rewards card and my card for my sports club, neither worked. Wonder if it was because I had a screen saver, or what???

Upvote 0
What was the problem, 3cutiger? Were you not able to scan the bar code?

I notice that to the left of the bar code scanning screen, there's two buttons to "Use Camera" or "Use Keypad". I assume you can use the latter to type in the bar code's number instead of scanning it.

Bi-Lo is indeed in the list of cards on the app's built-in list.

Upvote 0

1. Cell phone
2. MP3 player
3. GPS unit.
6. Electronic dictionary
7. Calculator
8. Clock/stop watch
10. LED flashlight
12. Video player

I've really bought and owned all of the above.

That's why I consider the tablet a step back really. The reason the tablet is being pushed is because they haven't been able to solve the "size of screen" problem of the smartphone i.e. it's uncomfortable for the average user to read print or watch video for an extended time on such a small screen.

Long term, I believe the solution lies in flexible, thin screen that are somehow going to fold out from the phone, allowing us a temporary larger viewing screen when we need it.

Until then, they going to keep trying to convince us we need two devices: a smartphone and a tablet.

Me, I'm sticking with smartphone only.

Upvote 0
What was the problem, 3cutiger? Were you not able to scan the bar code?

I notice that to the left of the bar code scanning screen, there's two buttons to "Use Camera" or "Use Keypad". I assume you can use the latter to type in the bar code's number instead of scanning it.

Bi-Lo is indeed in the list of cards on the app's built-in list.

But the scanner at the store and my gym wouldn't recognize the bar code image on my phone :(

Upvote 0
The reason the tablet is being pushed is because they haven't been able to solve the "size of screen" problem of the smartphone i.e. it's uncomfortable for the average user to read print or watch video for an extended time on such a small screen.

I'm at an age where I now use reading glasses, so when I want to read ebooks on my Android...or play complicated games...I just use slightly more powerful reading glasses.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones