1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Version 23.3.24 OTA

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Thom, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member Thread Starter

The Soak Test is concluded and Version 23.3.24 is being pushed out OTA (Over the Air).

This brings VoLTE to the Droid Maxx. I have not yet tried VoLTE.

There are some changes that I encountered ...

When the screen is off and you pass your hand over the proximity sensor the previous release would show the active display. This release does not. Moving the Maxx with the screen off will show the active display.

In Settings | Google | Voice | “OK Google” Detection make sure “From Google Search app” and “from any screen” are both off. If they are on very strange things happen with Touchless Control.

With both options turned off ... when you are in the Google Search app ... it now responds to the launch phrase. The previous version didn’t.

When you place your Maxx on a wireless charger the tone is now different. There still is no way to change it or disable it.

I did NOT do a Factory Data Reset after installing it.

... Thom

andy88488, Outatime and SirGrant like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

I've read that some people who were having lte to cdma handoff problems with mobile dat a since the 21.11.21 update had those fixed with this update, too. (I still don't have the new one, but I also don't care about VoLTE, so that's fine.)

3. tweak4

tweak4 Well-Known Member

BOOOOOO!!!!! Being able to just wave my hand over the screen to see my notifications was one of the features I really liked- not happy that they removed it. I realize that actually moving the phone isn't a huge deal, but the wave was a lot more subtle and less likely to be noticed during a boring business meeting...

4. Thom

Thom  

It is on the table in front of me when talking to a customer.

The casually passing my hand over the sensor was VERY nice.

Now I'm back to "accidently" making it move.

... Thom

5. doogald

To be honest, I doubt that they deliberately removed it but the feature was accidentally lost as part of the update. I assume this is similar to the double home key bug when kitkat was released - an accident, and not by design.

Unfortunately, I tend to doubt it's enough to do another ota...

6. foxkat

foxkat Lurker

Now I'm starting to think I want to disable... CALLS WILL DROP! See below;

[​IMG]

7. foxkat

foxkat Lurker

Correction to this post. Now the display wakes up every 13 seconds on the mark for me, stays on for 3 seconds, then off for 9. I've clocked this for over 5 minutes this way.

8. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert

If you're in a solid 4G area the call quality is extremely good.

9. sycor

sycor Well-Known Member

Meh, don't care about VoLTE and honestly I just found out about 3 weeks ago that the "wave over the hand to activate the display" was even working. Update doesn't do much for me. :(

10. Thom

Thom  

It does improve touchless control a little. When you are in the Google section it now recognizes the launch phrase. Last release you had to hit the button.

... Thom

11. rolandx

rolandx Member

I'm not sure if this is related to the update or not. Did the update last night. This morning wanted to wipe cache partition. Tried twice, it didn't work, just rebooted. Now something called CommServer is running. What is this? Has anyone wiped the cache partition since the update? Thanks for any help.

12. Thom

Thom  

rolandx likes this.
  13. rolandx

rolandx Member

Yes. I printed those instructions out and always refer to them when I do a cache wipe. It's possible I just fat fingered something. I'll try again. I power cycled the phone and the ComServer thing went away. I did some internet searches and couldn't find out what that is/does. Lots of menus though.

14. rolandx

rolandx Member

Tried again and everything work as usual.
    Thanks Thom.

15. LOTL

LOTL Newbie

As im sure you guys know, VoLTE isnt enabled with this update until you add Advanced Calling 1.0 to your account. Its free to add. Lots of ifs ands or buts with using the Advanced calling services. Both you and the person your speaking to or video conferencing with have to have VoLTE enabled and phones that support it.
    Advanced Calling 1.0 - Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless
    I also noticed that in order for it to work, i lost basic voicemail and had to enable the free version of Visual Voice Mail. I have never used it, so no comments about it yet.
    Advanced Calling 1.0 FAQ
    Oh well 2 steps forward and 1 back, like to think its progress of some sort.
    Most likely ill be turning VoLTE off as i do a lot of traveling in fringe areas.

16. doogald

Where I live I have no LTE so I'm not turning the feature on and, frankly, I have no need for video calling or 6 way conference calls, and regular calls are good enough def that I don't need high def audio.

17. LOTL

LOTL Newbie

Tested VoLTE with a few calls today, had a weird tinny sound to it when talking to the wife and 2 other calls on their non VoLTE phones.
    Disabled it and the calls sound better again. I was traveling in an area with 2-3 bars of 4G service. Maybe the other people not having VoLTE enabled phones was the issue, if thats the case its a pretty worthless feature until the rest of the world plays catch up.

Motorola Droid Maxx Forum

The Motorola Droid Maxx release date was August 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 10MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 3500mAh battery.

August 2013
Release Date
Reviews