• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Version 23.3.24 OTA

The Soak Test is concluded and Version 23.3.24 is being pushed out OTA (Over the Air).

This brings VoLTE to the Droid Maxx. I have not yet tried VoLTE.

There are some changes that I encountered ...

When the screen is off and you pass your hand over the proximity sensor the previous release would show the active display. This release does not. Moving the Maxx with the screen off will show the active display.

In Settings | Google | Voice | “OK Google” Detection make sure “From Google Search app” and “from any screen” are both off. If they are on very strange things happen with Touchless Control.

With both options turned off ... when you are in the Google Search app ... it now responds to the launch phrase. The previous version didn’t.

When you place your Maxx on a wireless charger the tone is now different. There still is no way to change it or disable it.

I did NOT do a Factory Data Reset after installing it.

... Thom

When the screen is off and you pass your hand over the proximity sensor the previous release would show the active display. This release does not. Moving the Maxx with the screen off will show the active display.

BOOOOOO!!!!! Being able to just wave my hand over the screen to see my notifications was one of the features I really liked- not happy that they removed it. I realize that actually moving the phone isn't a huge deal, but the wave was a lot more subtle and less likely to be noticed during a boring business meeting...

Upvote 0
BOOOOOO!!!!! Being able to just wave my hand over the screen to see my notifications was one of the features I really liked- not happy that they removed it. I realize that actually moving the phone isn't a huge deal, but the wave was a lot more subtle and less likely to be noticed during a boring business meeting...

To be honest, I doubt that they deliberately removed it but the feature was accidentally lost as part of the update. I assume this is similar to the double home key bug when kitkat was released - an accident, and not by design.

Unfortunately, I tend to doubt it's enough to do another ota...

Upvote 0
Now I'm starting to think I want to disable... CALLS WILL DROP! See below;

oh495x.jpg

Upvote 0
I have no problem doing it. I just did it again. Did you invoke it as described in ... http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-maxx/756726-droid-maxx-tips.html#post6251668?

... Thom
Yes. I printed those instructions out and always refer to them when I do a cache wipe. It's possible I just fat fingered something. I'll try again. I power cycled the phone and the ComServer thing went away. I did some internet searches and couldn't find out what that is/does. Lots of menus though.

Upvote 0
As im sure you guys know, VoLTE isnt enabled with this update until you add Advanced Calling 1.0 to your account. Its free to add. Lots of ifs ands or buts with using the Advanced calling services. Both you and the person your speaking to or video conferencing with have to have VoLTE enabled and phones that support it.
Advanced Calling 1.0 - Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless
I also noticed that in order for it to work, i lost basic voicemail and had to enable the free version of Visual Voice Mail. I have never used it, so no comments about it yet.
Advanced Calling 1.0 FAQ
Oh well 2 steps forward and 1 back, like to think its progress of some sort.
Most likely ill be turning VoLTE off as i do a lot of traveling in fringe areas.

Upvote 0
Tested VoLTE with a few calls today, had a weird tinny sound to it when talking to the wife and 2 other calls on their non VoLTE phones.
Disabled it and the calls sound better again. I was traveling in an area with 2-3 bars of 4G service. Maybe the other people not having VoLTE enabled phones was the issue, if thats the case its a pretty worthless feature until the rest of the world plays catch up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones