1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Versioning, vendor lockin and other annoyances vs iPad

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jago25_98, Aug 13, 2011.

1. jago25_98

jago25_98 Member
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    I've been trying out an iPad. It's ok but not as great as I expected.

The main thing is that the my eyes go blurry after a couple of hours.

Mirasol screens are being held back while these kindles are being pushed so I thought I'd look into cheap android based eink ereaders.

Like most people I expect complete control over what I've bought.
    If I own something I expect to install whatever I want on it. I won't buy anything I can't root.

Reading about android has got me confused. It seems android is trying to be like symbian; in bed with the vendors and therefore phone networks.

Personally I expect my android device to be able to upgrade to any revision of android. When I buy the hardware I'm not thinking about software because the first thing I'll do is load my own on there anyway.

But all these custom firmwares confuse me. I was thinking that android would simplify then phone Market for me as if it was a open Linux distro, able to do what I want.

This is all possible but only with rooting. Unfortunately some of the $70 devices can't be rooted. And it's unclear for me whether they'll run future versions of android. So the vendors have trapped me just the same as with symbian phones. that tiresome upgrade cycle.... That's annoying when its hardware but it's even more annoying when it's just software.

I may well stick with this symbian phone until things get better.

Other than that what are my options.

Could get an iPad. That's ok but not great. At least they're common enough...
    But won't be future proof as much as a android do you think?

I had a look at the entourage edge but now I hear they've given up due to google not wanting them to run android apps on this larger screen device.

So my final option is to get a nook and root it! I think this is what I will do, but what worries me now is how much freedom would I have with that in 10 years time? That is, how free and open is a android device?

What I'm after is something like an ubuntu netbook but with an eink screen. Something portable but really hackable. Another option is hacking a netbook into a tablet with a pixel qi screen, that would get me a real Linux machine and not have to worry about these android limitations.

Or am I worrying too much about android limitations?

The first thing I want to do is run vncviewer on the nook if ingo that route, because then I can export a computer display and read off that, the screen maybe small but I think I could play with that to be more dynamic than an entourage edge was, either linkingnto a desktop or a LCD based portable device.

-j

Advertisement