• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

VERY frustrated!! Has this happened to anyone else??

ZepTepi

Android Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2011
San Diego, CA
About a few hours ago my N5 stopped recognizing my fingerprints(all 3 I had configured) as well as my backup password. I tried multiple times to log in but ended up having to call Verizon support who after directing me to click on things on the Verizon Wireless website that aren't there and putting me on hold several times she then told me I have to factory reset my phone which infuriates me to no end especially considering this is my 2nd N5! My 1st one had multiple things wrong with it and had to be replaced. When she directed me to do something(press & hold down the home, power, & volume down buttons simultaneously) to factory reset my phone that didn't work she said she had to escalate me to tier 2 tech support. That tech directed me to reset a different way which worked. While we were waiting for the reset to finish she said this could possibly have happened because of a conflict with an app and after I asked "if that's the problem how would I know which app caused it?" to which she said she didn't know and recommended that now that my phone has been factory reset I only download 1 app a day to see if my phone has issues with that app. Being that the last app I downloaded was 3-4 days ago and there is no way of knowing how long it would take an app conflict to cause what happened tonight how could I know what app is causing problems in the future even if I'm downloading 1 app a day??

ARGH!!!!!

Has anyone else had any issues with the fingerprint reader & backup password not working?

Does anyone know if there is a database somewhere that tracks app issues? I download a moderate amount of apps to use/try out because I was under the impression(insert sarcasm) that these phones could handle a multitude of apps. What is everyone's opinion as to how many apps you can download on a smartphone like the N5 before it's too many apps and will effect your phones performance? Keep in mind I have the 64GB model and was nowhere near even being half full.

Looking forward to your responses!

Mark in San Diego

I faced the same issue. I didn't install any apps on it for the first 4 days, it was fine. Day 5, I installed a lot of apps including games, subscription of Antivirus. Post which finger print scanner stopped working. After multiple attempts of Hard Reset and installation of app. I noticed that when even I activate Anti-Theft in my Bitdefender program, the finger print and backup password stop working. There is not way to confirm it, as installing 1 app a day is something am not up for. Please let me know if you were able to pin point the app.

Upvote 0
I had a thumbprint not unlock and I tried too many times and it locked up on me. I had forgotten my backup password, my bad, and it eventually prompted me and took my Google e-mail and password to get me in. I was freaking out as it was like day 2 with the device.

You remind me of the day I tried that fiasco security feature.

I ended up having to go thru the cycle 10 times until it rebooted and reformatted itself....
then of course, I had to get it registered again, and install "my apps", and kill the bloatware again.

Never, ever, again. Now all I use is Swipe and a tether around my neck.... my phone never gets away from my hands.
when in public, that neckstrap wraps around my wrist so if I drop it, it don't fall more than six inches... and a pickpocket can't get away with it either. if one of those guys tugs on anything in my pockets, out comes Mr. CCW and he decides it ain't worth the risk.

Reactions: 79pw4x4 and KOLIO
Upvote 0
I've NEVER had any problems with the fingerprint reader, of course I've never used it either..
Other than playing with it once, I've had exactly the same experience.
Fingerprints are overrated as an authentication mechanism. They can be stolen (see link) but unlike passwords can't be changed.
Also, no one can hold you down and force your password into your phone, or sneak your password from you while you're asleep. Both can be done to your fingerprint.
It's more a convenience feature than anything else.
Link:
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/opm-now-admits-5-6m-feds-fingerprints-stolen-hackers/

Reactions: jaj324 and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Dear Samsung.. Plz impress us with a retina scanner so that us ppl with "construction hands" or "Rough/Work hands" don't get locked out of their devices after a hard day's work!!
Exactly!
The time clock we use @ work is a joke,even a slight elevation in humidity levels renders it useless until you've dried your hands on your pants ad nauseum.Ditto if your skin is just a bit drier on any particular day,won't even see it.
Now,a bit back on-topic:
I'm soooo whatev regarding fingerprint-enabled access,I really wish the resources spent (wasted as far as I'm concerned) were directed to something we can all get on-board with:
Expediting improved battery life.

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones