1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Very frustrated with Google Calendar Sync

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jkg, Apr 25, 2012.

1. jkg

jkg Newbie

Hi All,
    My first post!
    My first Android - SGS2 2.3.6 on Optus, Australia!!
    I have just migrated from Blackberry to SGS2 and slowly getting used to the new machine.
    It has been interesting. Some of the hardest things seemed easy. Some of the easiest things hardest.
    I have used my calendar as an appointment keeper and a note keeper, like a paper diary for years, since I first got a Palm T5. I rely on hundreds, thousands of calendar entries to remember all kinds of stuff.
    Kies didn't work for me and calendar syncing was not reliable. Also, I have a desktop PC and a laptop I need to keep synced and running 2 lots of Kies didn't work.
    I found Companion Link which does work fantastically well. I uploaded all my Outlook Contacts and Calendar to Google, then Companion Link syncs seamlessly on the fly to Outlook on both my PCs. It's brilliant.

Now comes my reason for posting here - I have realised that the Google Calendar Sync on the SGS2 only syncs the last 4 or 6 weeks of appointments and my thousands of other entries which are sitting on my Google Cloud Calendar are ignored. I've tried clearing the SGS2 Calendar memory. I've tried changing the SGS2 date so it thinks it's 2005 and resyncing Calendar. Nothing seems to work and when I have had the whole calendar synced, it only lasts a few days and seems to disappear back to the same old again. I even opened a new Google account and copied all my calendar over to a new calendar, then put the new account in the SGS2 and synced. Same old.

Plenty of people have the same problem it seems.
    Does anybody know who is responsible for this stuff up? - is it Samsung or Google?

Nobody seems to care .

Cheers
    John K

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. pcbms

pcbms Well-Known Member

This is an android issue - the android calendar will only sync back 4 weeks I think and no further than a year ahead. There is a calendar app Calengoo which allows you to set it to directly sync with the google calendar itself so that all of your events will appear on your phone calendar

jkg likes this.
  3. TT Desire

TT Desire Lurker

I cannot recommend Calengoo highly enough, the list of options / settings is awesome

Trev

jkg likes this.
  4. jkg

jkg Newbie

Thanks very much people!
    I downloaded Calengoo and it does indeed sync EVERYTHING without any drama.
    For $5 I'm happy.
    Thanks again.

To let you know, I posted this issue twice on the Google Mobile Help forum twice in the last week and got nothing. This place rocks :)

5. PLK

PLK Lurker

Dear jkg,

Thank you for your post that reflects my exact situation. I just got an Android phone and I need to transfer my Blackberry Torch calendar to the new Galaxy S3. As you, I have masses of calendar entries from many years back and they won't be displayed in the Google calendar (only four weeks worth of entries), as you said (so I do not want to use google sync). I also have CalenGoo already. I have been using this app for almost a year and absolutely love it. You said that with CalenGoo you can sync everything, which is what I need. So, I was wondering if you could be a bit more specific about what to do exactly to make the syncing with Google work with a complete version of my calendar. Thanks in advance for your help. I am not sure how to transfer the Blackberry calendar to my new Android and use CalenGoo to have Google calendar recognize ALL calendar entries. Thank you.

6. jkg

jkg Newbie

Hey PLK,
    Do you sync your BB to Outlook so you can get all your calendar items off it?
    If not, I recommend you either download the BB sync software from the BB web site and sync everything to Outlook, then sync your Outlook to Google Calendar. Alternatively, you could download the Google Sync app for your BB and sync everything to Google that way.
    Once all your calendar history is uploaded to Google Calendar web site, then you use Calengoo and not the stock Android calendar app on the S3. This is where the syncing history problem is - you can have 10 years history on the Google Calendar web site, but the phone only syncs the last 6 weeks of it. Go you the Sync tab in your S3 and untick Google Calendar so that you only sync your contacts with Google and not calendar. Then in Calengoo you enter your Google account details in the Accounts tab and Calengoo will take over syncing all your calendar items. Calengoo will upload everything to your S3.

Cheers
    John K

ajay.acharyakv likes this.
  7. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

I've done this many times in the past

Solution

8. PLK

PLK Lurker

Dear jkg,

Thanks so much for going through the trouble of responding to my request. Here is what happened following your instructions. I synced Outlook to Google calendar. It went relatively smoothly. Then I opened CalenGoo for the first time and saw that all calendar items were there, the full 10 or more years. So, I did nothing else. Now I have the whole calendar on Google and CalenGoo.
    Thanks again.

9. jkg

jkg Newbie

You must have already put your google account details into CalenGoo when you first installed it.
    I like CalenGoo.
    Glad it's working for you!

10. travla

travla Newbie

Hi jkg (and other posters),
    I struggled with this problem for nearly six months, and only found the solution about a week ago. It was so easy, that I could not believe it myself. I can't find the original website to credit the original author unfortunately, but it goes like this:

1. (optional step) Remove your Gmail account from your Accounts and Sync
    2. Go to your e-mail app and add an account
    3. Enter your Gmail account that has your calendar details
    4. (MOST IMPORTANT STEP) Select Microsoft ActiveSync
    5. Follow your nose through the settings. If you did not do step 1, deselect contact synchronisation, but when you get to Calendar sync, you have an option to sync 3 days, 1 week, 1 month and All. SELECT ALL.
    6. Complete the setup by select all other options that you prefer (e.g. push e-mail delivery or scheduled etc.)
    7. Give the phone about an hour, and you will have EVERY calendar entry in your calendar.

It is worth mentioning that if you do not do step 1 and you choose to sync contacts, you end up with another set of contacts identical to your google account. That's because Microsoft ActiveSync creates a different account in your accounts and settings. As far as using this protocol for e-mail delivery, I can say that it works as seamlessly as before.

I hope the instructions aren't too sketchy, I have 2 Galaxy S II phones with Vodafone (my wife and I), and this has worked for both. We are currently on ICS 4.0.3, but the original author had used this method on Gingerbread 2.3.5.

All the best.

11. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast

I also use Companion Link to syn b/w the desktop Outlook and the phone. Once its running if you go into Companion Link Setup and hit the Advanced settings button, it will take you to the configuration.

On the General Settings dialog it asks you how days in the past you want to sync. You can enter 999,999 days which is 2,739 years (727 BC) - that should be enough in the past?!!

DaveSyd

12. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

That will only just get you into Ironass's late teens, and he likes to keep a record of when he first oiled the truncheon.
    Must to better I'm afraid mate!
    :D

13. Rip7803

Rip7803 Lurker

Calengoo Rocks! It's unbelievable that the Android calendar on the Samsung Galaxy S3 is a piece of junk.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews