1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Very great news for f3 users!!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lucasmun09, Jan 20, 2014.

1. MotoDefy

MotoDefy Newbie

I got around contacting Tmobile about the kitkat upgrade I didn't think they would even reply, but here's there response

Please note that software updated are a long process, they require a partnership between the software developer, the device manufacturer and T-Mobile. In addition, even after a software update is tested, there is no guarantee it will be released and therefore no guaranteed release date.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We regret any inconvenience to you.

Very truly yours,

T-MOBILE USA, INC.

Advertisement

2. Murf1

Murf1 Android Enthusiast

In other words, "It ain't gonna happen". Just like Virgin Mobile.

I'm already looking into getting an LG Volt around August time frame - more storage, bigger screen, and KitKat.

3. Kasenomateru

Kasenomateru Android Enthusiast

I would get the Volt but I just got the F3 and the Volt wasn't available in best buy when I've got my F3

4. XxHaimBondxX

XxHaimBondxX Member

Keep bugging them, maybe they'll get tired finally invest in it.

5. chevanlol360

chevanlol360 Android Expert

6. daffyducknj

daffyducknj Android Enthusiast

That article was published last January. The dates look promising, but the carrier makes the final call on updates, not LG.

I'm glad that Google's now being aggressive in addressing the problem of updates:
    Android in 2015: Bringing 'pure Google' to every screen | Android Central

7. chevanlol360

I'm aware of the date of publication but if you've been following the lg updates for every devices like I've been doing you'd know that each ETA was correct. Only the f line is left for the update to KK since the Vu 2 was updated about 2 weeks ago. Yeah carrier has a say in it but they most likely won't stop the manufacturer even though they have the authority to do so.

8. Hus

Hus Well-Known Member

I went through that list and KK was released as mentioned in the table except for two devices, I think one was the Pro Lite Dual and Optimus GJ.

9. chevanlol360

10. Kasenomateru

Kasenomateru Android Enthusiast

11. daffyducknj

Well, I still hope you're right anyway. VM doesn't seem to have a good track record regarding updates, especially with the low to mid range Androids. The high rollers usually get theirs. If I'm not mistaken, anyone that has a Samsung Galaxy S III can download the Kit Kat update straight to their phones.

I've been lucky with the LG Android phones I've had. My V and the F3 have both had updates. Not so much when I had the Kyocera Rise, and its QWERTYless variant, the Event.

12. Trevor Philips

Trevor Philips Android Enthusiast

13. theunartist

theunartist Lurker

Well just an update for this thread...

My phone screen gave me a "Firmware Update" ready to install, all warnings about using Wifi, charged battery etc. Hit install and phone went into that green android updating screen, wow, I thought maybe just maybe.

Update took only a few minutes, phone powered on and off, checked version and still at 4.1.2 :rolleyes: (Kernel Version is 3.4.0 I don't know if this was updated)

First thing I noticed my keyboard was not responding without a lot of user input.

That is all...

14. XxHaimBondxX

XxHaimBondxX Member

Is your phone rooted?

15. theunartist

theunartist Lurker

Nope...

16. theunartist

theunartist Lurker

As a followup....

My phone completely discharged for the first time ever. Went to bed with 34% charge, 6 hours later it's drained. Never even came close to this before. This phone is on VM network, before update, absolutely no issues and very pleased with the F3. Hope this is not a preview of things to come...

17. daffyducknj

Oh really?

Now you've got me thinking whether I should even 'unbrick' my phone using the V7 firmware... :(

(Got into some issues with LG hidden menu. I don't think I'll reinstall it after the unbrick. Using my V ATM... dunno why VM won't let me use my Event! Grrr... anyway)

Before I do any of that, I'd better take a walk before this Cali sun fries my brain. :D

18. JoeSchmoe717

JoeSchmoe717 Newbie

Just floating this back to the top...any news? September can't end soon enough.

19. daffyducknj

Nope. No news yet AFAIK :(

20. rootabaga

rootabaga Extreme Android User

That's been my experience as well; whatever LG decides to do, VM doesn't seem to interested in expending the time and effort to update their "entry level" phones. There was lots of speculation about the Optimus V and most of that turned out to be false hope.

I'm going to guess that KK is never going to make it to the VM F3. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm going to guess VM is happy to just ignore it.

And Joe Schmoe, I'm not anxious for September to end. My taxes are due October 15, and that's coming soon enough already!! :D :D

21. gherkaul

gherkaul Android Enthusiast

Just so everyone is on the same page. Virgin has nothing to do with a software update or upgrade. VM is just a service provider. LG is the manufacturer of the phone, hardware and the software it uses.

And no I don't work for VM, lol. :D

22. rootabaga

Absolutely true. But when LG rolls out KK for a phone, every provider has their own tweaks (i.e., it's not "pure google"). VM has never shown a propensity to worry about major upgrades to their bottom-end phones, it just seems like an expense they don't want to shoulder.

That's assuming that LG first even goes there. It's not like any carrier is going to undertake something like that on their own... ;)

23. gherkaul

If that where true then why are some member getting the spc for their f3 to switch carriers. If vm tweaks the phone it should only work with vm. That would mean you can't switch.

24. rootabaga

^^^Well, to be honest I'm only repeating what VM told me when I asked them. I don't work for them either. ;)

25. gherkaul

I hear ya. Enjoyed the conversation though. :)