1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support VERY IRRITATEd(almost fed up)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Roddy, May 3, 2011.

1. Roddy

Roddy Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    ok, i need some insight. I've had my Evo since launch day last June. However, my text messaging is getting considerably worse. When I say it's getting worse its VERY SLOW and force closes alot. It's always been slow, even when I bought the phone but now it's getting out of hand. Sometimes it takes an entire min to open the app to view a text I just received. God forbid that I have to delete a text, I may as well wait 10 mins to use my phone. This is unacceptable. Will the Evo 3d be like this? If not, I'm really thinking about going for it.

Does anyone else experience this? Any solutions?

Advertisement

2. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Have cleared cache and data in manage applications? Cleared all test logs in the messaging app?

If you clear data, this will wipe all settings. Ringtones will have to be set back up.....

3. sikclown

sikclown Android Expert
    None

Nov 21, 2009
    Male
    Business Owner
    New Orleans, LA
    Most probably you need to delete all texts. How many texts do you have in the messaging app total? Android slows tremendously, in my experience, when you have thousands of texts. I make it a point to clear mine out every few weeks. It takes about 20 minutes though; hopefully future version of Android address this problem

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Jul 7, 2010
    the problem is that SMS texts are stored in a SQL database (SQLite)... and there's probably no way to add an index to the table. Seems like a fixable problem... curious if you can put one in manually. I've never worked with SQLite so I don't know if it's possible.

The easier fix would be to clean out your messages.

5. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Hard reset and don't go over 1000 stored messages in the future.

6. CarrieK

CarrieK Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Information Systems Analyst
    Nashville, TN
    I also recommend deleting texts. Unbelievable how much space they take up! I make it a point to do this every afternoon. If you use the full version of Handcent there is an option where you can save texts to their site.

7. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2010
    I do some stuff and get paid for it...that's all t
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    I hit about 8,000 messages and got nearly a total lockup on the phone. Now I keep it set to trim at 200 message per conversation. That will fix it.

You can use this to purge the older ones to save yourself from doing a hard reset. SMS Cleaner Free for Android | AppBrain.com though it takes awhile to run its course. A LONG while, like all night!

8. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Android Expert
    None

Apr 3, 2010
    My high score was 13,100 and some odd texts in one thread. It got extremely extremely slow, then one day SMS application completely utterly crashed and erased all my messaging data by itself. It was around the same time I was considering using a SMS back up app. Its not a huge deal but I live with a small bit of regret now that I didn't take care of it sooner.

If you care about your texts, get a SMS back up application and save them to computer, microSD, or g-mail, then erase them from your SMS application. Once you clear them from the application you will be amazed at how snappy things will get once again. It was a blessing in disguise when they were spontaneously erased for me.

younggreenanne likes this.
  9. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

Yeah my whole phone is faster when I delete all of my text threads. Definitely try that, like the guys above said.

10. Drew5150

Drew5150 Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    SF
    I flash new roms too often for it to ever get too backed up. But I also have mine set to maximum of 200 per thread. I only keep threads for the people I text multiple times everyday. Everything else I delete if its been there 24hrs. My messaging has never been slow.

Tags: