1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Very new to android and looking for HELP with YouTube for mobile please...

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Alyssa.d, May 7, 2011.

1. Alyssa.d

Alyssa.d Lurker
    None

May 7, 2011
    Hi, I recently bought a Samsung phone and I have been struggling to figure everything out. I was hoping you might be able to help me with this question for now...
    I have a YouTube account and I have subscriptions to a few feeds and am starting my own channel...
    I can access my stuff easily from my laptop but when I try to use the YouTube app on my phone, I get a generic YouTube page... When I select menu and my account, it does NOTHING.... How can I get to my stuff? I want to watch the videos i subscribe to not the stupid "most viewed" junk... I am getting so frustrated trying to make this work! Can someone PLEASE please please help me? I know I probably sound pretty "slow" and I beg you to bear with me as I have only had this phone for a few days and had a really old "plain" cell phone that didn't have anything fancy like these apps or anything like that before I got this one... lol... :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

I really hope that someone can help me figure this out somehow! :D

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Many of us find that the YouTube app is kinda bad overall. Some disagree - but personally, I hate it.

I view YouTube strictly using my phone browser - you can do this if your Samsung Fascinate is at Android 2.2, the latest release for your phone.

I don't own a Fascinate - but many Android browsers can be configured to fool YouTube into thinking it's dealing with a desktop or laptop instead of a phone. That will give you access to VEVO content, for example.

If you're interested, configure your Fascinate web browser by first looking for Menu->Settings and turning off mobile browsing.

Next - many Android browsers will respond to entering either of one of these into the web address area - do not add http or anything else:

about:debug

or

about:config

Do that, scroll back into settings, and you may find many more config options - if there's one for a Java console, turn it off - then look for the UA string - select Desktop. If the about:debug doesn't give you the extra options - try the about:config instead.

I also sometimes set Flash content (aka "plug-ins" on some Android browsers) to be on-demand: so rather than having to deal with the time to load tubes like you would on a desktop automatically, the tube comes up as a kinda icon - that makes for fast loads and then only when you click that does it go live.

From there, you can always use the full-screen option in the lower corner of vid - or - just long-press a playing vid and you'll get a little gray rectangle in the upper left corner - press that as an alternate way to get full-screen output.

If these tricks won't work on your Fascinate, then perhaps the Fascinate gang here can give you some other tips on this problem - Fascinate - Support and Troubleshooting - Android Forums (folks there can also tell you how to know if your phone has the latest update to 2.2, btw)

Or you may get some advice to do as I suggest by installing an alternate browser - get advice on that in this forum or in the one I linked above.

Best luck - hope this helps!