• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Very Slow Speeds with Easytether

wjbmd48

Lurker
Jun 17, 2011
Hi all:

I was able to get my Samsung Intercept to tether to my XP machine, butthe speeds were very slow--about 0.05M down, 0.1M up. (The phone itself, with VM provider, will do 0.4M up and down.) My meter shows intermittent bursts of around 0.2M interspersed by long silences, which suggests that perhaps Samsung has done something internally to the device to limit this feature.

Mobile-stream has been useless: they've asked me to retest with speedtest.net (which is what I've used), then ignored my subsequent emails.

Has anyone else had this experience? I really don't want to try PDANet unless absolutely necessary, and I don't want to root my device.

Thanks!

Bill

You need to clean up your pc and add amount of memory used to store web pages.
In control panel (windows) go to internet and find delete cookies / history. In delete you'll see mem used and days to keep. Increase but dont max mem use and decrease days to keep.
Turn off unused pc and phone apps while online and don't have more than two tabs "working" at same time and only download items one at a time. Remember the thanks button @ bottom WHEN this works. Guaranteed. Olskkool.

Reactions: wjbmd48
Upvote 0
Well, I'll happily thank you for taking the time to help me out, but no, it didn't work.

My XP PC has 1.5G of RAM, more than enough. I flushed all my temporary files, and I was already using the max allowed (958M) for web storage.

I closed down everything on the PC except Firefox, which gave me 1.0 free of the 1.5, then killed all the apps on the Intercept except easytether.

Nada: 0.03 down, 0.08 up.

I failed to mention that when I tether via the Intercept's wifi, I still get the slow down, but max speed up (0.75--I'm just using DSL at home). That's *very* odd.

What's even odder is that my net meter shows a spiky, intermittent pattern with the tether, which is very abnormal--I get bursts up to 0.4M, but that's very intermittent.

Mind you, I can live with even these sort of dialup type speeds in emergencies. But I'd like faster, obviously.

What really disappoints me, and should be pointed out to others, is the total absence of support on Easytether.

Ideas, anyone?

Bill

Upvote 0
A good thought, but I kind of doubt it for two reasons:

1) I just got the phone, and about the first thing I did out of the box was install and use Easytether, and,

2) I get .4M both up and down on the phone itself, which is exactly what I also got on my old Virginmobile USB 3G card (MC760).

So it makes no sense that they'd let me have the ambient 3G speed in my area on the phone, but not when I'm tethering, and certainly that they'd throttle me right out of the box.

I do appreciate your help! Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Bill

Upvote 0
It gets even curiouser.

I installed system on my wife's Win7 system, and the speed is superb: 1.0M down, 0.1m up.

But the more I fiddle with my XP system, the worse it gets. I reinstalled the Samsung Android USB driver in both versions, and now I get a failure to connect when I fire up Easytether.

So, it appears that VM is not throttling me, and is not disabling or crippling tethering.

Rather, it appears to be an XP-specific problem.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Bill

Upvote 0
OK, after several hours of knocking around, and absolutely *zero* help from mobil-stream, the problem turns out to be that there are too many versions of Easytether and particularly the Samsung Android USB Driver Utility out there.

First, uninstall all the versions of both Easytether and all the Samsung USB drivers on your machine in Add/Remove Programs.

Then download and install the "core program" first, and then the Samsung USB driver from here:

Download EasyTether drivers - EasyTether for Mac OS X, Windows, Ubuntu, Fedora and game consoles

Then attach your phone (onto which Easytether has already been loaded) and you're good to go-I'm now getting 1M down and 0.1M up. Not too shabby.

If you've done it right Easytether shows up as an extra LAN in your network connections.

So Easytether does work well, but:

1) You have to do things precisely right, and,
2) Expect absolutely no help from the @*%)_^ at Mobile-stream.

Bill

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones