1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verzion Droid X Insurance Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ramprat, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Ramprat

Ramprat Newbie

So today the Droid X went for a swim in warm soapy water at work & even encased in a otterbox it got wet...by the time I got it out of the water and dried off it had been wet for 30 seconds or more...

Anywhoo, the local Verzion store where it came from said to call the insurance company (like I remember the name) and they said the X is backordered for insurance purposes & it will be at least a week if not 2 weeks befre they can send a replacement (we have the $6 a month insurance plan) but it's still going to cost $90 to replace it..

Anywhoo, is there a way to ensure ya get a new phone instead of a rebuilt/used/refurbished one that somebody else broke and sent it for repair...

I'd much rather have a new one instead of a used one as a replacement..

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Ramprat

Ramprat Newbie

Well it came on....

And now it's stuck at the Bootloader 30.04 screen & after playing around with a few buttons powering it on & off...a little triangle with a exclamation point in it shows up...and a green droid underneath...

3. BimmerM3

BimmerM3 Member

Try putting it in a bowl of rice, i've heard of multiple phones being fixed this way. Take the battery out and leave it in for hours or possibly a whole day, but dont apply direct heat. I saw one post where a woman had dropped her X in a mop bucket and left it outside in the rain for three days and it survived. So if those stories are true yours should easily be salvageable.

4. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert

Yes, the $89 deductible and giving you a refurbished phone is legit-as crappy as it is.

Never turn on a electronic device dropped in water until you are sure the moisture is gone. Put it in ziplock bag with uncooked rice with battery out-cover off and put it in a warm location-window sill, etc. for at least 24 hours-rice will expand. Then try to boot it. Asurion stinks, but I guess a $89 refurb is better than a $550 new X.

5. sic0048

sic0048 Android Enthusiast

Why is it crappy? The phone wasn't brand new when it got wet, so why should someone expect to get a brand new phone in return? Now I would expect a refurbished phone to have been gone through thoroughly and to be in excellent condition.

Do you get a brand new car if you have an accident? No, either you get money to repair the car, or the value of the car when it was wrecked. But in either case, you are not getting the value of the car when you purchased it new.

6. Wally World

What's crappy is the refurbs are notorious for having problems. This must be because of the limited testing done when a phone is sent back. So, paying $89 for a buggy/broken phone is crappy. I don't have a problem with getting a refurbed phone-if it was thoroughly gone through.

7. Ramprat

Ramprat Newbie

This is my issue, somebody sends in a water damaged phone & it's just glanced over, sort of fixed, just enough...but not fully 100% repaired...

Then it's sent out to somebody only to have more problems...

8. Ramprat

Ramprat Newbie

Had the phone in a baggie of water absorber crystals over night...and just tried turning on the phone again.

It's still goes to the bootloader screen and will not load from there..

When I had pulled it out of the water the Motorola power up M was on...I'm wondering if it did not fry something when it went splash & then turned itself off & back on...

9. Ramprat

Ramprat Newbie

Just got off the phone with Asurion and according to them since I did the on line form & paid by CC they are sending out a Droid X tonight and it's a new one, not a refurbished one..

10. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

It's possible the bootloader problem could be fixed for free by flashing with RSD Lite.

Regarding the crappy refurbs, my original x had a defective, loose usb connector so I had trouble charging. The replacement I got is great.

11. sic0048

I'll let you know how my replacement goes. Something has just gone wrong with my headphone connector and I cannot plug my headphone jack in anymore. It only goes in about 1/2 doesn't work. But this should be a warranty replacement, not an insurance replacement. I just haven't had time to go to the store yet.

12. escalade6103

escalade6103 Android Enthusiast

refurbished phones arent bad if they are thoroughly checked out but thats not the case with insurance phones as so many of us have found out. and most of the time they work for 31 days before they mess up, just long enough to get passed the 30 day warranty from asurion. then they say, "we're sorry but your past your warranty date". maybe if they would give us a 60 day warranty or even a 45 day warranty it would be better. i know someone's going to say "if they did that then we would want a longer warranty", so before you go there no i wouldnt. if it doesnt mess up within 45 days then its probably a descent phone. but if they keep the 30 day warranty then at least do a complete refurb on the phone not just a quick glance.

+++1

13. sic0048

Got my replacement phone yesterday and everything seems to be fine. Certainly the phone "looks" brand new. So far I cannot find any reason to complain about the quality of the phone or its operation. But I'll wait a few more days before I send back my original phone. I have 10 days to return it.

However, this phone was replaced by Verizon/Motorola as a warranty replacement. It was not handled by Assurance. So the refurbished phone quality might be different between the different companies.

14. chmodx

chmodx Android Enthusiast

6 x 20 months of contract = $120
    Deductible $90
    ---
    Avg used price $300

Might save you some money IF it happens, but at the same time, I'd rather take the gamble to save $210 guaranteed over the unlikeliness of spending ~$300 (or less).

15. Wally World

Was it in a new box?

How can you tell if it's refurbished? Is there a sticker in the battery compartment stating this?

16. chmodx

chmodx Android Enthusiast

They're really good about the tracking, it's a 2day return label and you'll get a txt message about 24 hrs after they receive it.

I'd go through and test EVERYTHING, even the headphone jack. Test for dead pixels, you name it. I went through 4 Droid 2s, it was a nightmare.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews