1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Verzion Nexus Car Dock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by civicsisedan, Dec 12, 2011.

1. BankZ

BankZ Well-Known Member

I tried that and it doesn't work. The car dock apps don't take over the home button. It shows the little wheel in the notification but doesn't seem to do anything.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ndwgolf

ndwgolf Well-Known Member

The Samsung one looks like it uses the 3 prongs as the power cable goes into the foot of the holder not into the phone

3. BankZ

BankZ Well-Known Member

I didn't think it would work with the VZW version of the Nexus. Will it? Extended batter?

4. acr89

acr89 Newbie

Strange... have you tried using "Car Home V3"? Maybe it's an ICS compatibility issue.

5. ndwgolf

Sorry I dont know I have the GSM version

6. acr89

acr89 Newbie

ProClip customer service says this should be available next week, hope they speak the truth

motm95 likes this.
  7. Homefrrie

Homefrrie Newbie

That looks pretty sweet, hoping that'll come out sooner rather than later.

The car dock is the only other accessory I'm going to need for this beast

8. BankZ

BankZ Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the one I tried first :(

9. JC13

JC13 Well-Known Member

i don't think car mode is available for ICS yet. Hopefully an upgrade will come soon!

10. eyc

eyc Well-Known Member

teddyearp likes this.
  11. Mooem

Mooem Android Enthusiast

Looking into this as well. I did send off a question to customer service about the extended battery (and whether or not it may be an issue even though it doesn't seem like it).

Has anyone had experience with ProClip charging holders? Do they last long? Any problems actually charging the phone?

12. mjolnir2000

mjolnir2000 Lurker

In what way is it a tight fit? It occurs to me that maybe the Verizon dock is so tight because it already has the same dimensions as the GSM dock made for a thinner phone, and the only difference is literally the lack of a 3-pin connector. Probably not the case, but it would be kind of funny if it was.

13. JC13

JC13 Well-Known Member

Could be. It's tight all the way around. It's tight on the edges as well as tight against the back. It takes some work wedging it in as well as wrestling it out. Hopefully putting it in and out a few times will stretch it out a bit.

14. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast

I want audio out to be integral.

Why is so hard for the manufacturers to figure out we want to be able to get in the car, dock it, and have it connected to charging and car sound without handling any wires?

Most us already have some sort of auxiliary set up run to our radios -- I want the dock to connect to that.

I never foresaw a world where the phone mfr would make something like this three pin out connector, and there would be no product to use it.

sophocles likes this.
  15. saulback

saulback Newbie

From the expansys-usa website:
    February 29th?!! Two and a half months to get a simple car dock to the market?

16. Scottd9000

Scottd9000 Member

I find the Verizon mount super tight. So tight that it pushes the buttons when I put it in and it's almost impossible to remove the phone one handed. But the trade off is it's really nice and sturdy. My Dinc mount from Verizon was a belt clip added to a universal window mount - wow what a shaky mess that was.

17. lord aries

lord aries Newbie

I have the verizon version of the car dock, and i hate it. I'm looking into anything else.

18. lortay78

lortay78 Lurker

I just returned mine and gave my corporate rep an earful. Doubt it will help much, but we do have 100 accounts. I think if everyone did the same we might get some action.....

Who am I kidding? This is Big Red.

19. jamisont

jamisont Well-Known Member

if i want a car dock, i'd get the one without charging ability. charging inside car is really bad for battery life.
    car battery's voltage is unstable, voltage goes up and down too widely compare to home electricity, and restarting engine causes big surge, that mess up not only battery but device as well.
    i do carry car charger in my car, but i'll only use it in case of emergency.

20. KrazyKarl

KrazyKarl Newbie

do you have any evidence of this? Every car charger has a voltage regulator in it (since the charger outputs 5V and the car's voltage varies from ~10V-16V). Additionally, most of the OEM-quality chargers will have additional filtering to prevent any high frequency fluctuations from getting though.

I seriously doubt there's any significant difference between charging in a car or from an outlet (which can also be prone to surges, like when the AC/heater comes on, or other large appliances)

21. gobluejd

gobluejd GOBLUE!

I agree (unless there is evidence). I kept my Seidio Multi-Charger in my car plugged into constant power 24/7 and had my Tbolt Extended battery in there. I swear when I popped that baby in it took forever to go from 100% to 99% (HOURS). I think the car charged it better :eek:

22. TKEnzy

TKEnzy Well-Known Member

It comes with a plastic disc that you can stick on your dash, then the suction sticks to that. You could also use it on the windshield, but my EZ Pass is in the way so I went the dash route. I'll be returning it, however, and waiting for the 3 pin one.

ndwgolf likes this.
  23. Splendor

Splendor Newbie

This Verizon car dock situation is making me angry.

teddyearp likes this.
  24. ndwgolf

Sir,
    I am going with the Proquip one, its 150 bucks shipped to Malaysia which I know is crazy but if you want it you have to pay for it

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews