1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Vibrate doesn't silent notification

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bandzmen, Dec 20, 2012.

1. bandzmen

bandzmen Lurker

Hi, I'm using samsung galaxy note 2.

My volume control and shortcut only controls the ringtone volume. It doesn't seem to mute or lower the notification and media volume when I switch to vibrate or silent mode. They do indicate that notification vibration is on, but the volume display is still at max and it still produces sound.

Why is this so? Is it the software problem?

Advertisement

2. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Android Enthusiast

When turning the volume down you have to select the little gear to the right the notification and media have their own boxes you an slide up or down.

3. bandzmen

bandzmen Lurker

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do do that. But when i use the drop down menu and select "vibrate" mode, shouldn't it mute everything for me? Cause everytime i do, it only adjust/mute the ringtone volume. And although it shows that the notification is on vibration mode, the volume bar is still at max and sound is still coming out.

4. lcneed

lcneed Android Enthusiast

On mine (AT&T), when you put Ringtone on Vibrate, both Notification and System sound are mute. It won't let you change them to anything else. However, you could change the Media/Game sound. Are you sure it is notification sound you are hearing? Or could it be some app using media sound to play notification?

5. BleedingPurist

BleedingPurist Well-Known Member

The Mute/Vibrate Toggle is designed to mute only incoming notifications/calls as it should. It is not going to mute expected media sounds. The idea is you can set mute and then play music, games, videos, or still get scheduled alarms without being interrupted. Those sounds are expected sounds that will only trigger if you initiate or schedule it. Notifications come without warning. This is the desirable functionality for most people. You don't want to miss alarms because you forgot to take your phone off mute. If you need complete silence.. then you'll need to do as described above.

Veritas4420 likes this.
  6. bandzmen

bandzmen Lurker

Ah... I see. Thanks all!