1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Vibrate ONLY when receive text

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NewDroid4, Sep 7, 2012.

1. NewDroid4

NewDroid4 New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hi All,
    I have a new Droid 4. It recently automatically upgraded to ICS. I dont have any special mods or non-standard apps, including messenger apps. I have not rooted the phone.

The phone's default behavior is to play a ring tone and vibrate when it receives a text message. I would like to change this to just vibrate, no ring tone. I want this only for text messages; i dont want to change into silent mode or anything else global like that.

In the phone, i tap the "Text" icon (green text happy face), which expands to "Text Messaging.
    I then tap the 3 lines button at the bottom left, which pops up a little dialogue that has "Messaging settings" and "To Online Album". I tap Messaging Settings and get a new screen with lots of options.

I scroll down to the "Notifications Settings" section. In there, there are 3 subitems: Notifications (Checked), Select Ringtone (default ringtone, droid), and Vibrate (also vibrate when notified) which is checked.

I tried setting the ringtone to "Silent" and making sure that vibrate was still checked. But when I got a new text, it didnt vibrate. There was indeed a notification in the notifcation area at the top of the screen, but the phone made no noise (as expected) and did not vibrate (not expected).

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a known bug?

What can I try to do to get the behavior I want?

Thanks.

Advertisement