• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help vibrating htc desire

brinsk

Nov 17, 2010
hi all,

my htc desire decided to go for a swim last saturday (with the aid of my darling 2 year old son knocking it out of my hand GRRR). but the thing is, after drying it out for a few days, everything is working again. i even downloaded an update for it yesterday!

the only problem is that the damn thing wont stop vibrating.......so i was hoping you guys could suggest something that i might be able to do, or if i cant, can i take it to a shop to get fixed?

in hope :eek:

d :cool:

hi all,

my htc desire decided to go for a swim last saturday (with the aid of my darling 2 year old son knocking it out of my hand GRRR). but the thing is, after drying it out for a few days, everything is working again. i even downloaded an update for it yesterday!

the only problem is that the damn thing wont stop vibrating.......so i was hoping you guys could suggest something that i might be able to do, or if i cant, can i take it to a shop to get fixed?

in hope :eek:

d :cool:

You probably won't be able to get it fixed under warranty, as there are moisture telltales on the inside of the phone and on the battery. They are small white labels that turn red when they've been in contact with moisture.

In case there is any moisture left, one suggestion I've seen is to leave the phone submerged in a box of rice to try and draw any remaining moisture out.

A more aggressive approach would be to put it in an airtight container with a small dish full of salt, and place the whole thing in an airing cupboard for a couple of days. Salt is hygroscopic, and will absorb any water vapour in the air, helping any further moisture to evaporate. The salt won't cause any corrosion as long as it doesn't directly come into contact with metal parts.
Take the back cover off and the battery out whilst drying as well.

If this doesn't work, most likely it's just a deposit on the PCB caused by electrolysis when it was submerged, this is now conducting and causing the transistor that controls the vibrate to switch on.

A repair should just be a case of removing the PCB and cleaning with Isopropyl Alcohol. So not too expensive, hopefully, but you'd probably be better of taking it to a shop that has a resident technician who you can speak to, rather than just sending it back to a repair centre where they'll just replace the mainboard!

Reactions: brinsk
Upvote 0
You probably won't be able to get it fixed under warranty, as there are moisture telltales on the inside of the phone and on the battery. They are small white labels that turn red when they've been in contact with moisture.

In case there is any moisture left, one suggestion I've seen is to leave the phone submerged in a box of rice to try and draw any remaining moisture out.

A more aggressive approach would be to put it in an airtight container with a small dish full of salt, and place the whole thing in an airing cupboard for a couple of days. Salt is hygroscopic, and will absorb any water vapour in the air, helping any further moisture to evaporate. The salt won't cause any corrosion as long as it doesn't directly come into contact with metal parts.
Take the back cover off and the battery out whilst drying as well.

If this doesn't work, most likely it's just a deposit on the PCB caused by electrolysis when it was submerged, this is now conducting and causing the transistor that controls the vibrate to switch on.

A repair should just be a case of removing the PCB and cleaning with Isopropyl Alcohol. So not too expensive, hopefully, but you'd probably be better of taking it to a shop that has a resident technician who you can speak to, rather than just sending it back to a repair centre where they'll just replace the mainboard!

you make it sound so easy yet at the same time very technical lol. i thought it might be an electrical contact issue too, but thought i might as well see if i could dry it more by charging it as id read that putting it in rice would dry it out and so i did that first (if that makes sense?). but even with the battery out, (and the charger still plugged in), it was still vibrating? i think ill do what you suggest and take it to a shop. hopefully like you say, it'll just be a case of cleaning the contacts and that'll be it?

thanx for the advice SiHa it was very helpful

d:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones