1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Vibration Problems on Fascinate

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mada, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Mada

Mada Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 5, 2011
    School
    Alabama
    So I have a really odd problem with my Samsung Fascinate concerning the vibrator. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I'll list when and when it does not work.

WORKS:
    • in a game.
    • haptic feedback
    • and I'm not sure why, but its been like this since day 1. my phone vibrates when an app is about to force close/crash and it still does it.
    • when I turn my volume all the way down to silent mode

DOES NOT WORK:
    • receiving a text message
    • receiving a call

When I receive a text, I do feel the vibrator TRYING to vibrate, it's like a tiny thud, only noticeable when I'm holding it in my hand, EXPECTING it to do it within a few seconds. On a call, it does the the first time it vibrates, then vibrates normally from then on.

so it sounds like it has trouble just STARTING right? Like a car with a bad battery. but remember it works correctly in the WORKS list above.

took it to the Verizon store a while ago, they had me install an app from the market that the main purpose was to customize the way the vibrator works, and it fixed the solution only for a couple days.

Thanks for any input!
    ALR350Z

P.S. Phone is not rooted. I think it has 2.2

Advertisement

2. tgulch22

tgulch22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 22, 2010
    Paramedic
    Perrysburg, OH
    It sounds like a problem with the phone..and that vzw store was wrong, you should never have to install an app to get a phone to work the way it is designed. get a replacement...

3. Mada

Mada Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 5, 2011
    School
    Alabama
    Thanks for your response. I took it into the store again and this time they did a factory reset on the phone. I wasn't too happy about that but it's nice to kinda start over with my phone. I still have my pictures and contacts tho :)

The factory reset worked, and they told me that the phone was running too much at once so they downloaded some task killer I've never heard of and told me how to use it. Funny thing is I had Advanced Task Killer the whole time, with it set to auto kill when screen off.

4. tgulch22

None

Feb 22, 2010
    Paramedic
    Perrysburg, OH
    GET RID OF THE TASK KILLER!!!!! Sorry for the caps, but the task killer is uneducated VZW reps pretending this is a windows MO phone. The android system is more closely related to linux and does not need a program shutting things down. As the phone needs resources it self allocates memory from programs not being used to programs being used. The task killer will cause you more problems than it will fix. ATK might even have been the problem with your vibrate.

Mada likes this.
  5. Mada

Mada Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 5, 2011
    School
    Alabama
    Funny that you mentioned that because I just removed it earlier today. I read an article explaining all the details about task killers and how android does not need them. The article recommended System Panel (either free or paid version, I got free) for MONITORING reasons. So far I like it, graphs are easy to read.

6. tgulch22

None

Feb 22, 2010
    Paramedic
    Perrysburg, OH
    Yeah monitoring is great. And if you notice a program that is always using alot of resources, there is probably something locked up in the program..unless you just use it alot...