• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [VIDEO] 10min Root complete Guide

Rooted, after trying a different card (PNY 8GB from Wal-Mart) and doing the pop it in and out trick. Win7/64 as well. Posting this via AndroidTether *grin*

Diego, I assume you already answered this, but it's a persistent root, right?

I feel bad because i can reproduce the adb recovery every time, not once does it fail when i did it correctly

Upvote 0
Finally rooted my Incredible, after some 200+ tries using every method known to man. really. You name, I tried it.

Anyways,

This is what I've tried before but failed to root:

• Installed HTC Sync
  • Downloaded "Simple HTC Droid Incredible Root" folder from this 10 min rooting video, extract it to drive C:\, and run "SDK Setup". (Basically the same instruction in the 10 min video)... so it'll look like C:\sdk\tools\
  • Modified the android_winusb.inf file to include Incredible drivers.
  • Installed the modified android_winusb.inf file (ADB composite option)
  • Use the free 2GB microSD Sandisk brand card that came with the Incredible phone.
  • Formatted my 2GB microSD Sandisk brand card as FAT32 select (FULL FORMAT and leaving other settings alone).

Format Screen

This is what I've tried now and it worked for me (Win 7 Pro 64-bit):

• Went to Wal-mart, purchased the PNY 2GB microSD (it doesn't say whether it is class 2, 4, 6, or 8, so I assume it is class 2).
  • Insert the new PNY card into my Incredible (my phone was turned on when the card was inserted).
  • I DID NOT FORMAT THE NEW CARD.
  • I simply jump straight into the 10min video instruction and tried other methods BUT ALL FAILED, again.
  • I went to bed, giving up, feeling hopeless after an hour and half of attempting.
  • Woke up early morning, decided to FORMAT THE NEW PNY 2GB microSD card. So I did! (Turned on the phone, connect USB cable to my Incredible & PC, pull down the option to choose "Disk drive" instead of "Charge only" option. Now go and FULL format the PNY microSD card as FAT32, while leaving other options alone).
  • Once format is done, I go to the C:\sdk\ directory, mentioned earlier, and click on "SDK Setup", then choose to download the "USB driver package, revision 3", once it's done downloading, you should see a new folder called "usb_driver" in the "c:\sdk" directory.
    (If you cannot get a connection in the SDK Setup program, while in the SDK Setup program, goto Settings, put a check on "force https://...", goto available packages, put a check on "https://ds-ssl.google..." and you should now see "USB Driver package, revision 3".
  • Now , I simply pulled battery while the phone was on (waited about 2-3 minutes, and put the battery back in).
  • Remove the USB cable from my Incredible.
  • Followed the 10min video (the first portion of the video when holding down the trackball ball & power button)
  • Note: Keep your eyes on "Device Manager" on your PC. If you see a device driver called "ADB" that is not installed, fix it by install the driver downloaded from the "SDK setup" program, mentioned earlier. If you see "Android 1.0" missing driver DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.
  • After following these steps, I hope you get root.

Image of PNY card 1.

Image of PNY card 2.

***UPDATE***
Somehow, I created some sort of unknown problem with my 2GB PNY card. I tried to re-root it several times but failed.

Then...

I realize it could be some issue with the partition table on the PNY microSD card. What I did to re-enable rooting ability on my PNY card was FULL format it from FAT32 to FAT several times, back and forth, I even mixed in some Quick formatting, too.

Now...

I can Root with either FAT partition or FAT32 partition on the PNY card.

Reactions: crackers8199
Upvote 0
I tried every root method over and over for the past few days and nothing worked. I just downloaded "Simple HTC Droid Incredible Root" and followed the steps in the 10 min root video, and it worked on the first try! Something in that file set had to have been what gave me success. I did not change the drivers or anything. I am running windows 7 64 bit and used a Sandisk 2gb card. Flawless. Thanks so much to whoever supplied that file pack

Upvote 0
yeah, if you go through the vid, he does a decent job (although pretty fast) at explaining everything. if you already have the sdk, skip the beginning where he is installing everything. don't worry about htc sync either, i don't have it installed.

what he does have in his sdk file though are all of the other files you'll need already in the tools folder, superuser.apk, busybox, etc. as well as a text file with all the cmd prompts to just copy and paste. very user friendly

I deleted my sdk, used his and only installed the packages relating to 2.1 and the usb drivers.

so if we need the drivers, which is why i am assuming mine isn't working, how do we download them. how do you download a package? when installing the sdk i get the error like in the vid, where do i go from there?

Upvote 0
lets pretend I finally got into the shell and performed all the steps, but rebooted before I removed/renamed the apps I wanted to get rid of... So I understand I have to get back into shell while in recovery mode - but do I have to repeat all the steps from square one?

Also, did the OP's zip file contain the current "payload-update.zip" from public:adb_in_recovery [RootWiki] ??

Upvote 0
So I rooted Sunday. Unrooted today just to get some apps back that I deleted. Now when I try to run "1.bat" I get permission denied! Any clue why???

I still don't understand why I'm get "Failure to copy XXX to sd card: permission denied" when I try to run "1.bat". I'm in recovery in adb shell, but "Failure to copy XXX to sd card: permission denied". wtf

Upvote 0
Well I finally have success I thought I tried everything then I saw two things I haven't tried.

1. Hold the Volume - and Power On to get to the white screen. Then go and Update the Drivers by pointing to the Modified Driver .inf. I have Windows 7 32 Bit. This will load ADB Bootloader under Android Phone.

2. I used the 2GB PNY card formatted FAT32 (I formatted this in windows not on the phone). Make sure the card is in the slot but not ejected

3. Start loop.bat. Select Recovery then power button when you hear the FIRST USB Disconnect tones Click in SD Card. I was in on the first try and I've got in 4 out of 5 times.

4. Continue on with the rest of this video.

I tried everything prior to this even the click in click out several times and nothing. I have a feeling it was the updating of the drivers on the White screen but maybe not. Just wanted to share my success story.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones