1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Video calling

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mpsya, Aug 18, 2011.

1. mpsya

mpsya Newbie
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    Hi.
    I've just tried using the built in video calling feature and couldn't get it to work. I was calling an iPhone and my screen showed that the other phone was being called but the recipitant's phone did not ring. I then called them with a normal voice call and it worked fine. Is this a known problem and is there a fix? I know I can use Skype or another third party app but I'd rather use the built in features if possible.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
    I think you'll find that the problem lies with the iPhone.

I regularly use my SGSII to make video calls, with the native video call function over 3G, to a variety of other handsets, both Android and Symbian.

However, I am given to understand by an iPhone owner that video calling to and from it is only possible over wifi and to another iPhone 4.

3. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

hmm, so iphone cannot make 3g video calls over the mobile network, it just uses facetime? thats sad!

having said that, i havent successfully been able to make a video call on my sgs2 either. although there are apps like skype and tango (and soon, google video chat) that does this for free.. so im not too bothered about it.