• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Video camera app with manual settings and access to all cameras??

halfbeing

Aug 1, 2011
Is there a video camera app that allows manual setting of parameters (white balance, focus etc) on the S21 Ultra and alsoaccess to all its cameras, a bit like Cinema 4k used to do? Cinema 4k, despite its age, seems to work on the S21 Ultra, but it can only use 3 of its cameras.

After some research, it looks like there is nothing that can shoot video with the zoom cameras , but Filmic Pro offers a great degree of control nonetheless. Also, Filmic's still photography app, Firstlight, offers a great degree of control, especially if you purchase the premium features, but that too cannot use the zoom lenses.

Upvote 0
The multiple camera modules in a S21 have more proprietary features so it's more a matter where they also require a unique and also proprietary Camera app to take advantage of those advanced options. So the Samsung Camera app (software) on your S21 is more tightly integrated to those camera units (hardware) than a more typical set up in most other phones where the camera module is commonly available (used by multiple manufacturers) and a more or less generic camera app.
So yeah, you can install and use third-party camera apps but they can only access the basic feature sets in those higher-end camera modules. All that said, if you go into the Settings menu of your phone's Camera app, there should be options to allow you use manual adjustments. Look in the 'Pro' options

Upvote 0
The multiple camera modules in a S21 have more proprietary features so it's more a matter where they also require a unique and also proprietary Camera app to take advantage of those advanced options. So the Samsung Camera app (software) on your S21 is more tightly integrated to those camera units (hardware) than a more typical set up in most other phones where the camera module is commonly available (used by multiple manufacturers) and a more or less generic camera app.
So yeah, you can install and use third-party camera apps but they can only access the basic feature sets in those higher-end camera modules. All that said, if you go into the Settings menu of your phone's Camera app, there should be options to allow you use manual adjustments. Look in the 'Pro' options
Certainly for certain functions, such as telephoto and macro, it is Samsung's own software that makes that happen. But there are still things that Firstlight can do that go way beyond what the Samsung camera app can do. But between the two, I think most things are covered as far as still photography goes.

It's a bit different for video. The Samsung app doesn't allow much control. Filmic Pro really has the edge for everything except macro shots and convenience (for when you don't have time to mess around with manual settings). I was messing about with it last night taking shots of what was on my desk and I was able to make the dust on my laptop glow as if the machine hadn't been cleaned in years.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones