• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

video chat app called Fring

Chuck1906

Android Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2009
A friend of mine at work showed me a new app in the market called FRING that is much like the new video chat on the iPhone except obviously we don't have the front facing camera on the Droids so you would have to keep turning the phone around unless you stood in front of a mirror. Once you set it up, you can link it to your address book, it will show you who's online (those in your contacts). You call their phone via a method like SKYPE where your not using your minutes. Once your connected, they can see you and you can see them in real time with no delay and you can talk and hear them too!

Pretty cool FREE app in the market! Again its called FRING (if you spell it with a E on the end, it will not come up)

FRING used to be the only way (that I know of) to "Skype out" to call phones (not computers) from the Droid, without using minutes. Skype out is a good way to call back to the US from overseas over a wifi network. From Europe, only 2 cents per minute. I don't know of any way to do this now with the Droid. I can still do this with the ipod touch and their Skype app. Too bad FRING and Skype got divorced.

Haven't tried the video chat with Fring. Played with an app called "knocking, beta" but that looks like only video, no audio.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones