• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video Chat (it's up and running)

dyezak

Feb 1, 2011
DO NOT INSTALL TANGO!!! FURTHER TESTING SHOWS SERIOUS BUGS. If you install tango it eats your battery for lunch. Full charge to 15% warning in 90min. If you uninstalled it then it breaks your front facing camera. DO NOT INSTALL!!!

So I downloaded Tango today, and my brother has tango on his Evo 4g, and I had my girlfriend download Tango on her iPhone 4 (Verizon). This is flawless video chat across platforms and across carriers on both 3g and 4g (tested by me :D). So if you want video chat...get Tango:

Tango | Free mobile video calls wherever you are

[EDIT] : DO NOT USE TANGO - This app totally murders your battery. I'll be writing Tango and seeing if I can work with them to get it resolved but Tango destroy's your battery life. If you have Tango installed and bad battery life uninstall Tango and see how things improve.

I wouldn't describe it as "flawless". I tested Tango when I first got my phone. I chatted with my wife who was in the same house as me using the same wifi connection and it was pretty bad. YMMV.

I just got off a 10min video chat with my girlfriend. She was on 3g (iPhone 4) and I was on 4g, neither as good as WIFI, and we had 0 problems. I also tested with my brother, his Evo 4g on 4g and me on 4g, 0 problems.

I am rooted with a newer Sense 2.0 ROM debloated though.....

Upvote 0
[EDIT] : DO NOT USE TANGO - This app totally murders your battery. I'll be writing Tango and seeing if I can work with them to get it resolved but Tango destroy's your battery life. If you have Tango installed and bad battery life uninstall Tango and see how things improve.

Upvote 0
Crap, bigger warning!!

Uninstalling Tango removes part of the required files for proper operation of your front facing camera. So if you uninstalled it your front camera will be broken.... Worse, they do not respond to support requests. So I am on my own trying to figure out how to fix this.

Upvote 0
So has the uninstallation of Tango breaking the FF cam been confirmed? I still have it installed but won't use it if it causes battery drain and won't uninstall if it kills the cam...

I think the OP has issues with his FF cam due to being rooted and maybe something got screwy when he uninstalled Tango

Like I said, I am not rooted and uninstalled with no issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones