1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Video Chat (it's up and running)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dyezak, Mar 29, 2011.

1. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

DO NOT INSTALL TANGO!!! FURTHER TESTING SHOWS SERIOUS BUGS. If you install tango it eats your battery for lunch. Full charge to 15% warning in 90min. If you uninstalled it then it breaks your front facing camera. DO NOT INSTALL!!!

So I downloaded Tango today, and my brother has tango on his Evo 4g, and I had my girlfriend download Tango on her iPhone 4 (Verizon). This is flawless video chat across platforms and across carriers on both 3g and 4g (tested by me :D). So if you want video chat...get Tango:

Tango | Free mobile video calls wherever you are

[EDIT] : DO NOT USE TANGO - This app totally murders your battery. I'll be writing Tango and seeing if I can work with them to get it resolved but Tango destroy's your battery life. If you have Tango installed and bad battery life uninstall Tango and see how things improve.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. thebra

thebra Newbie

I wouldn't describe it as "flawless". I tested Tango when I first got my phone. I chatted with my wife who was in the same house as me using the same wifi connection and it was pretty bad. YMMV.

3. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

I just got off a 10min video chat with my girlfriend. She was on 3g (iPhone 4) and I was on 4g, neither as good as WIFI, and we had 0 problems. I also tested with my brother, his Evo 4g on 4g and me on 4g, 0 problems.

I am rooted with a newer Sense 2.0 ROM debloated though.....

4. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

Just decided to try it again with my GF (again over 3g and crossing platforms to iPhone). It's as good as video chat can be IMHO.

atrain311 likes this.
  5. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert

Thanks, gonna give it a whirl with a buddy of mine who got the TBolt too.

6. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

I'll have my GF connect to WIFI and I'll do the same. I wonder if there is an appreciable difference. That's the only connection I haven't tried (well, I haven't tried Ev-Do but I don't think it has the bandwith to carry a video chat).

7. atrain311

atrain311 Android Expert

I've been itching to try this feature, so even if it isn't as good as Skype will be, it will do fine in its absence. Thanks for the recommendation.

8. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

Just submitted a information request to Tango to see if they have any plans for either a PC/MAC client or a Web client...

9. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

[EDIT] : DO NOT USE TANGO - This app totally murders your battery. I'll be writing Tango and seeing if I can work with them to get it resolved but Tango destroy's your battery life. If you have Tango installed and bad battery life uninstall Tango and see how things improve.

10. Dobieg

Dobieg Well-Known Member

I've been using tango since TB was released. Been chatting with sister who's on her iPod touch. Never had a problem. We talk almost daily.

Mr_Stump likes this.
  11. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

Crap, bigger warning!!

Uninstalling Tango removes part of the required files for proper operation of your front facing camera. So if you uninstalled it your front camera will be broken.... Worse, they do not respond to support requests. So I am on my own trying to figure out how to fix this.

12. willdogs

willdogs Android Enthusiast

My FF camera works just fine after un-install.

13. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

Re-read. If you UNinstall it breaks your ff camera.

14. willdogs

Was a typo on my part, I meant to type un-install.

If you read the link I provided above, you will see that I was of the first to announce battery drain with Tango, hence i've since un-installed.

15. Papadroid

Papadroid Android Expert

Since you're rooted you can reflash the ROM you're running to restore what ever got screwed up. And you don't even need to wipe data and cache.;)

16. nateap87

nateap87 Android Enthusiast

fring works for me. at first i couldn't switch to my front camera but after emailing the developer, they sent me an APK that worked fine

17. The Absolute

The Absolute Well-Known Member

So has the uninstallation of Tango breaking the FF cam been confirmed? I still have it installed but won't use it if it causes battery drain and won't uninstall if it kills the cam...

18. willdogs

I think the OP has issues with his FF cam due to being rooted and maybe something got screwy when he uninstalled Tango

Like I said, I am not rooted and uninstalled with no issues.

19. kxs783kms

kxs783kms Member

Could you kindly post that .apk sir?

20. vzw+google+htc=:)

vzw+google+htc=:) Android Enthusiast

kxs783kms likes this.
  21. kxs783kms

kxs783kms Member

22. Juneau

Juneau Well-Known Member

I have had Tango installed since the first week and I have not had what I feel is excessive battery drain. Even after talking with friends using it.

Thanks for the Fring apk though.

23. wkd1

wkd1 Member

Tango's working fine for me. I'm not noticing any additional battery drain. I've only chatted with a buddy on his iPhone 4, and did fine.

24. asthesunsets

asthesunsets Newbie

agreed. I've had it since the first day it came out and didnt notice any excessive battery drain.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews