1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Video Chat

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Alyianna, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Alyianna

Alyianna Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Female
    Dubuque, Iowa
    With the ease of Google+ Hangout feature, I would like to video chat with my daughter and/or other family and friends.

I do not have a front facing camera on my phone (DX2), and I do not have a webcam for my PC.

I'm hoping this will be the answer to the question my husband always asks "Why do you need a tablet? What will it do that your PC and phone won't?"

I have been looking at tablets for awhile now... and I am considering the Xoom and Asus Transformer... leaning heavily toward the Transformer.

My question is... How would a tablet handle video chatting, quality wise? Would there be a huge quality difference between the tablet and a webcam for my PC?

Please feel free to give me any advice or input concerning tablets and Google+ hangout (video chat) features and the easiest way to accomplish this!

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. juniorcleff

juniorcleff Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Switch Technician
    Mid Atlantic
    1.2mb front facing camera on Transformer, wifi connection, and $400 make the Transformer the impractical choice. You can find a much better webcam for a fraction of the price. Still get the Transformer though; Mainly cause it is AWESOME. When your husband asks why you want it, just tell him that. If my wife used that as a reason to buy any device, I would have to concede on principal.

Alyianna likes this.
  3. Alyianna

Alyianna Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Female
    Dubuque, Iowa
    Thank you for your response! I was assuming that's what someone would say.

I guess I will get a webcam (know anything about those and what I should look for?) and still get the tablet anyhow... "Because it's AWESOME!" Wish me luck!!

4. juniorcleff

juniorcleff Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Switch Technician
    Mid Atlantic
    I have this cam:

Newegg.com - Logitech C910 USB 2.0 1080p HD Pro Webcam

But there are many. You just want to look for anything 720p or higher and a built in mic. Wouldn't pay more than 70 though.