• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video glitches, jerks, freezes with panning

Shot some pretty winter scenes, and some dashcam style shots and they are all resulting in video that freezes for a very brief moment, then picks up again sometimes with garbage that looks like pixelation on steroids. Audio records fine. Even though the teeny freezes are teeny, they wreck a smooth pan or dash cam shot.

I currently have been testing shots in FHD (60 fps) with the video saving to the phone, yet have tried it both to the phone and to the card. Tried with and without video stabilization. Searched the interwebs until my brain started hurting. I've not yet tested FHS (30fps) completely [it's dark now] - could that be it? Do I need a faster card? Saving to the phone should be the fastest, right?

I'd love to find a solution.

Note 8, Sandisk Ultra Plus 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 card

If you have other processes running in the background this can stress the CPU, so make sure you are not running unnecessary apps in the background.

Clear any cache from the device and/or force stop apps that you dont need to run whilst capturing video. Delete any unused files on the internal storage or offload to your external card.

Internal storage should be fastest yes.

Remember this is a phone FIRST and a video camera SECOND so dont expect movie camera performance in an integrated pocket sized device. Stay within reason.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Mark, for your suggestions. I almost mentioned that, yes, this is a "phone" first...still...I bet there is a way to get smooth video.

Speaking of phones and cameras, I compared my 16MP phone to a 6MP Canon with a $1200 zoom. For the wide shots, the phone actually won. Maybe it's a tiny camera with a phone? lol. Of course, the phone's digital zoom is left far behind the Canon's optical zoom...

I'll work on cleaning out old files and apps even more than usual.

UPDATE: Testing 60 vs 30 fps with ridiculously fast, nauseating pans. ....60 jerks and creates artifacts. 30 does not. Goodbye 60 fps as it's really not needed for phone vids anyway.

Thanks all!

Upvote 0
If you have other processes running in the background this can stress the CPU, so make sure you are not running unnecessary apps in the background.

Clear any cache from the device and/or force stop apps that you dont need to run whilst capturing video. Delete any unused files on the internal storage or offload to your external card.

Internal storage should be fastest yes.

Remember this is a phone FIRST and a video camera SECOND so dont expect movie camera performance in an integrated pocket sized device. Stay within reason.
I already did that, and still the video tends to do extremly black pixles, its my own home in the woods. So the woods do a lot of harm, though the wifi only hits a silo and back, nothing else but a lot of powerlines and trees.

Upvote 0
Ive shot a lot of video on this phone (i have 3 note 9s) in different settings using 3rd party apps that allow me to adjust camera sensor specific things (iris/aperature, iso, etc) and Ive not noticed that phenomenon you speak.

I’d suggest trying standard HD (1920X1080) and test. The sensor shock handle this in any setup. If it does flawless video then there’s a baseline. From there you change bit rates, etc. and see where the hiccup begins.

The phone is capable of producing sable, glitch free video, but if the CPU/Ram is comprised or taxed heavily and /or there’s a lot ot things in the background that can take over some processing power, these can cause issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones