• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [VIDEO GUIDE] Test Mode/No service fix (# to Hidden Menu)

Hey fuzzy I really appreciate all the help you been giving me,unfortunatly my pc just wouldnt run lg repair tool,BUT my brothers pc did! I was able to get it out of test mode and just finished the rest of the tutorial.Going to call metro and have them deal with the not being able to make calls part THANKS alot!

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
Hey fuzzy I really appreciate all the help you been giving me,unfortunatly my pc just wouldnt run lg repair tool,BUT my brothers pc did! I was able to get it out of test mode and just finished the rest of the tutorial.Going to call metro and have them deal with the not being able to make calls part THANKS alot!

Awesome. Glad you got it out. Metro will take care of the rest and guide you through entering the info. ;)

Upvote 0
Hmmm i tried programming the phone with the lg tool,the phone restarted but the MDN,MIN and SID show up as blank after the reboot.I called metro and tried programming it manually and after the reboot the phone does the same thing.It wont keep the edits after the reboot?

That exactly where mine was before i went to the metro service center. Be absolutely sure you have Clockwork off of your phone, because they won’t touch it otherwise. I downloaded to ZVB and then upgrade from ZVB to ZVD with the LG Mobile Support tool. This way you are sure you phone is factory before you go there. It was free of charges and took 45 minutes.

What was tolded to me was, that there was something screwed up in the hidden menu. And it take their machine 45 minutes to fix.

Upvote 0
Oh my god, what a pain in the arse! Thank you SO much for posting this DIY, went through the steps and got my wife's phone back to normal.

I ran in to the same problem as a couple of other users did, when trying to execute the actual repair program, it kept telling me that it encountered a problem. This was on an XP machine. So I started the steps all over on a Windows 7 machine and everything went just as it was supposed to the first time around and the phone is back to normal!

Thanks BIG TIME!!!!! :D

I'd like to add something though. If you are unsure of your MIN #, there's no need to call Metro PCS for it. Provided you at least got the right SID, just dial *228 after the last reboot and it will program itself. Worked perfect for me and the MIN was added.

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0
You are using the correct COM port right?

If so I suggest using the downgrade guide and downgrade your phone. Then use the LG tool to upgrade your phone so you are dealing with a 100% bone stock factory phone. This way there is nothing interfering with the process.

YES I AM. I GOT SOME ADVICE FROM GBIGGIE AND BRAINZ SAYING CHECK THE COM I WAS IN AND I HAVE BEEN MAKING SURE THAT IT'S THE CORRECT COM BUT THAT'S NOT THE ISSUE. I WAS USING COM3 ...THEN SWITCHED PORTS AND USED COM6. (IT WAS SUGGESTED THAT I USE COM4 THRU 8). SO I PLUGGED MY PHONE IN TODAY AND IT DOESN'T SAY FACTORY CABLE ANYMORE [NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED] BUT MY USB DEBUGGING IS CONNECTED AND MY PHONE IS IN DEBUGGING MODE AGAIN. [GOOD SIGN :) BUT STILL IN TEST MODE]. SO I HAVE BEEN RE-INSTALLING THE DRIVERS OVER AND OVER AND I HAVE BEEN GETTING THE SAME MESSAGE THAT MY DEVICE WON'T UNLOCK.

I noticed something when I watched Fuzzy's how to video...and in your LG Electronics>LGNPST folder, you have the "VS910.dll" file & the "VS910_CmdInfo" file and both are application extensions. But I followed the same steps and in my folder, that VS910.dll file is not there...it's ONLY ON MY DESKTOP (because we have to copy it there.) Also in my folder, my "VS910_CmdInfo" file is blank...and it says XML DOCUMENT instead of APPLICATION EXTENSION. That is the only thing that's different.

I will try downgrading and see what happens Fuzzy. But what do you think it could be that that _cmdinfo file is a xml doc instead of an exe.?

Upvote 0
YES I AM. I GOT SOME ADVICE FROM GBIGGIE AND BRAINZ SAYING CHECK THE COM I WAS IN AND I HAVE BEEN MAKING SURE THAT IT'S THE CORRECT COM BUT THAT'S NOT THE ISSUE. I WAS USING COM3 ...THEN SWITCHED PORTS AND USED COM6. (IT WAS SUGGESTED THAT I USE COM4 THRU 8). SO I PLUGGED MY PHONE IN TODAY AND IT DOESN'T SAY FACTORY CABLE ANYMORE [NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED] BUT MY USB DEBUGGING IS CONNECTED AND MY PHONE IS IN DEBUGGING MODE AGAIN. [GOOD SIGN :) BUT STILL IN TEST MODE]. SO I HAVE BEEN RE-INSTALLING THE DRIVERS OVER AND OVER AND I HAVE BEEN GETTING THE SAME MESSAGE THAT MY DEVICE WON'T UNLOCK.

I noticed something when I watched Fuzzy's how to video...and in your LG Electronics>LGNPST folder, you have the "VS910.dll" file & the "VS910_CmdInfo" file and both are application extensions. But I followed the same steps and in my folder, that VS910.dll file is not there...it's ONLY ON MY DESKTOP (because we have to copy it there.) Also in my folder, my "VS910_CmdInfo" file is blank...and it says XML DOCUMENT instead of APPLICATION EXTENSION. That is the only thing that's different.

I will try downgrading and see what happens Fuzzy. But what do you think it could be that that _cmdinfo file is a xml doc instead of an exe.?

I've never actually paid attention to whatever file that is.

I'm really sure what else to do. Is there another computer you can try it on?

Upvote 0
For some reason the LG test mode repair doesn't work for me. It never even opens up when I click on it. Any ideas what could be going on? I tried both the zipped and unzipped version, but both are a no go for me.

Something on your PC is stopping it or blocking it. Make sure UAC is off and all programs running in the background are off. Try on another PC with a different OS.

Just downloaded from the links in the OP to double check and they both opened up fine for me. :/

Upvote 0
Well I'm not the only one since I'm running windows XP and I have the 3.5 network framework. I also turned off all the firewalls and antivirus. Maybe its something relevant to windows XP only? Also my spc isn't the right one for kw phone even though its the right one from my meid.. HM.... o_O

Yeah i don't know. Someone should take apart the fix and see what exactly it does. It has to be simple cause it takes all of 1 second. It either deletes something, replaces something, etc....

All I can say is try it on another OS. Im not sure what prevents it from running. You might can try talking to the dev that actually made it. There's an XDA post that's the original that the fix was posted in. If you google it it will be one of the first results. That's all I've got sorry.

Reactions: Mexjoker
Upvote 0
Yeah i don't know. Someone should take apart the fix and see what exactly it does. It has to be simple cause it takes all of 1 second. It either deletes something, replaces something, etc....

All I can say is try it on another OS. Im not sure what prevents it from running. You might can try talking to the dev that actually made it. There's an XDA post that's the original that the fix was posted in. If you google it it will be one of the first results. That's all I've got sorry.

Its alright, Fuzzy. You already did your party by writing this guide :D.

Upvote 0
READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY AND DO NOT SKIP STEPS!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT IS Test Mode?
= # button goes straight to LG Hidden Menu. When USB cable is plugged in it says Factory Data Cable connected. Can't change USB connection, only on charge.

More than likely if you are in test mode, you have NO service. Your "about phone" reads no phone number, min number and PRL is usually 40000. BUT you have data service right? IF you are lucky enough to have service, then scroll to the TEST MODE FIX section.

This guide will fix all of these issues and get your phone back to normal. This guide is going to be fairly long but detailed. I'm going to divide it into sections in order of what needs to be done. So follow directions and everything should be okay.

-Thanks to Gbiggie for his LGPNST guide. I had to edit it homie cause we aint using it all
-Thanks to.............................will fill in later.

NEW USERS PLEASE READ
If you searched and found this thread because you are having a problem with your phone I want to thank you for signing up here at AF. But DONT let this be the only reason for coming here. I want you to stay and enjoy the perks of your phone. We have an AMAZING family here willing to help and guide you through your needs. Dont just take what you want and run. Be appreciative of the people that make all this happen!!!!!!

With that being said if you DO have a problem, go over the steps that you are on and double check everything. If you still have a problem post your question up here. I ask that you NOT Pm me due to I might not see it and I dont want you waiting on me when other people can answer your questions.

Let's get started

DO NOT SKIP STEPS. DONT JUMP STRAIGHT TO TEST MODE. Go in order and take your time. If you have a problem it's prolly something on YOUR end.

This Video is made to work in conjunction with the post below.:D

I recommend downloading the video here and playing it on Windows Media Player. YouTube quality is AWFUL and the screen is smaller. Much easier to see on WMP.

Download How To Fix Test Mode Video
Zippyshare.com - TestModeHowTo.wmv

LG Esteem-How to fix Test Mode & Restore Service (AndroidForums.com) - YouTube

DOWNLOADS

Download these files and save them to your desktop.

-Test mode Fix
-

Zipped- Dev-Host - LGRepairTESTMODE.rar - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Unzipped- Dev-Host - LG Test Mode Repair.exe - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

-Drivers- Dev-Host - LGUnitedMobileDriver S4981MAN36AP22 ML WHQL Ver 3.6.exe - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

-LGPNST- Dev-Host - LGPNST.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Get your MEID or IMEI number and enter it and get your SPC, Write down the 6 digit number. You will need it later.

Online MEID convertor- MEID Converter - Free MEID and ESN conversion tool

Install MEID convertor to your phone-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xpY2VkbWVkaWEuYW5kcm9pZC5tZWlkY29udmVydGVyIl0.

INSTALL

-First Unzip the 2 files you downloaded. (LGPNST,TEST MODE FIX)

-Next install the DRIVERS exe in the drivers folder.

LGPNST INSTALL

We are going to Install LGPNST which will be used in the 3rd step to restore your phone #, MIN and PRL. Which will activate your service and get it back working.

*WINDOWS 7 and Vista USERS*- Turn off UAC and notify "Never"

*Windows XP Users*

Read Here
If you are running Windows XP do this:
1. Click START-Run- regedt32
2. Select the window HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ON LOCAL MACHINE
3. Select the SOFTWARE key
4. Click SECURITY (or PERMISSIONS) from the menu bar (under the "Edit" menu)
5. Click PERMISSIONS
6. From the Security section, highlight USERS
7. Check the option FULL CONTROL
8. Click APPLY
9. Click the ADVANCED button
10. Highlight USERS from the ?Permission Entries? section
11. Click VIEW/EDIT
12. From the permissions section, uncheck the DELETE option from the ?Allow? column
13. Click OK
14. Click APPLY before continuing to the next step
15. Check the option ?RESET PERMISSIONS ON ALL CHILD OBJECTS AND ENABLE PROPAGATION OF INHERITABLE PERMISSIONS?
16. Click APPLY again
17. Click YES at the security dialog warning box
18. Click OK to the message about registry editor not being able to set permissions on some keys
19. Click OK back at the access control settings for the SOFTWARE key
20. Click OK back at the permissions for SOFTWARE dialog

--Open up the LGPNST folder on your desktop.

--Open the "Move these files to desktop" folder and copy and paste the "skin.dll" and "VS910.dll" to the desktop.

--Next, start at "Install Me 1st" and go in order and install each of the files located in the folders, ending at "Run Me After (Install Me 4th)".

Folder Contents
-1st Folder-Store Version Install
-2nd Folder-Lab Version Install
-3rd Folder-Components Install
-4th Folder-Generic Models Install
-Run Me After Folder-Right Click and "merge" the Right_Click_Register.dll
256qqs3.jpg

*After you install all the files. Navigate to your desktop and locate the VS910.dll you moved earlier. Right click and "register".

If you a 64 bit system and cant register the DLL check this out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1284860
33zbvp2.jpg

(You shouldn't get any errors when registering the .dll files. If you do, try to reinstalling all the LGPNST files; Store, Lab, Comp, Generic.)

READ IF ERRORS WITH DLL.

If when you click on "register" on the vs910.dll and a window opens up that asks you to CHOOSE a program to open it up with NAVIGATE to C:/windows/system32 and double click on the file regsvr32. It should register the dll.
fad0gg.jpg

--Then, Right Click and COPY the "Skin.dll" file you moved earlier on your desktop and paste it to the LGPNST install, which should be C:/LGElectronics/LGPNST

(It will ask you if you want to "Copy and Replace" the existing skin.dll, Click YES.)
2nswgog.jpg

--LGPNST is now installed.

--Next you need to get your 6 digit SPC # from the MEID convertor. Your MEID is located under the battery OR on your original box, that way you dont have to pull the battery. (Make sure you enter your MEID in correctly) MEID is the same as IMEI.

--If you are getting it from your phone, go ahead and RESTART your computer. If your getting from the site then RESTART after you get your SPC#.

NEXT-Test Mode Fix

had the 64 bit problem. here's the fix..

click start/all programs/ then right click command prompt an run as administrator then run this command....
[C:\Windows\system32>regsvr32.exe "C:\users\yourwindowsaccountname\Desktop\VS910.dll]
.... as long as the directory leads to where you saved the "VS910.dll" it will work fine.

Upvote 0
had the 64 bit problem. here's the fix..

click start/all programs/ then right click command prompt an run as administrator then run this command....
[C:\Windows\system32>regsvr32.exe "C:\users\yourwindowsaccountname\Desktop\VS910.dll]
.... as long as the directory leads to where you saved the "VS910.dll" it will work fine.

What i do is just open up the folder that contains regsvr32 which is usually system32, not always though, and just drag the dll from desktop and release it on top of regsvr32. It just force registers the dll. Same concept without the commands.

Plus it excludes having to explain what cmd is to people as most people I've seen on here that have had this problem have ZERO computer knowledge but they do know how to open a folder and navigate.

Regardless, thanks for sharing. ;)

Upvote 0
FINALLY! Called Metro, turns out it the MIN code wasn't my phone number, and the SID was 6503, and not 06503. Thanks again man!

I posted in this thread several months ago when I first got the problem, seems as though I got it again :(.

I already took the phone out of Test Mode and I remembered the first time around I had to call Metro because my MIN didn't match my MDN. So I called them again tonight, except this time they couldn't fix it. I'm wondering if this is the problem.

My SID says 06503 but every time I try dropping the 0 it just adds it right back on restart. Anyway, they're suggesting I take it in.

Upvote 0
I posted in this thread several months ago when I first got the problem, seems as though I got it again :(.

I already took the phone out of Test Mode and I remembered the first time around I had to call Metro because my MIN didn't match my MDN. So I called them again tonight, except this time they couldn't fix it. I'm wondering if this is the problem.

My SID says 06503 but every time I try dropping the 0 it just adds it right back on restart. Anyway, they're suggesting I take it in.

I think leaving the 0 is okay.

Does Metro take you through the steps of adding the MIN?

Reactions: Shiftsj
Upvote 0
Hey Fuzzy, I have attempted this several times and every time I try to write my phone restarts after about 3% progress. It does complete, but doesn't fix problem. Any ideas?

Hmmm. I really don't know. Your talking about adding your info in LGNPST right? So after you add your info and click write, it reboots once it starts?

Upvote 0
I think leaving the 0 is okay.

Does Metro take you through the steps of adding the MIN?

Yes, they took me to the service menu and I matched up my MDN, MIN, and SID. A couple of months ago when I first had the problem that did the trick, but this time I had to use LGNPST and your guide made it very easy :D. The info was was correct in that read menu or whatever, but once I updated the PRL I finally got service again.

Thanks a ton Fuzzy. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Yes, they took me to the service menu and I matched up my MDN, MIN, and SID. A couple of months ago when I first had the problem that did the trick, but this time I had to use LGNPST and your guide made it very easy :D. The info was was correct in that read menu or whatever, but once I updated the PRL I finally got service again.

Thanks a ton Fuzzy. :thumb:

Awesome. Glad you got it back working. ;)

Upvote 0
ya it didnt work again. window popped up stating "LG Test Mode Repair has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" tried DLing it 4 times now.

I've been gettin the same message. AVG has dug in and won't temp disable or unistall, so that i can root out ifthe virus protector is causing error :banghead: Gonna keep tryin till i get a solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones