• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video playback fps converter

Gretar

Lurker
Sep 14, 2016
I'm looking for an app that will open a video and playback at a specified fps.

Let me stop you there. No, not like all the other fast/slow motion apps on the play store. I've tried them all, yes ALL, and none of them do this.

"Wait, what do you mean?"
I, like millions of others have a GoPro. They are famous for their super slick slow motion action videos. There is currently NO app in the app store that let's you take your GoPro footage and play it back in that super cool slow motion on your phone"

"What do the current slow motion apps do then?"
First they take your high fps footage, convert it to 25/30 fps footage. Then they add duplicate frames and motion blur to your footage. And you end up with choppy, bad quality slow motion footage.

"But I've seen these cool slow motion videos on Instagram and other app only applications"
Yeah, they take download their videos to their computers, open up a nice video editor, make their short videos super cool slow motion, then upload it to their phones and then finally upload it on Instagram or other apps.

"So what are you really asking for?"
1. I open the app.
2. I select a video from my phone.
3. The app tells me how many fps the video has
4. I can choose at what fps I want to play the video.
5. I can save the video in that playback fps.

"Give me an example"
I record something awesome with my GoPro at 100fps. With the GoPro app I can edit and download the moment something awesome happened. I have 5 seconds of me faceplanting of my skateboard @ 100fps.
I open the app and ask it to play the video at 25 fps. The resault is a 20 second, smooth as ****, 1/4th speed slow motion of my face hitting the concrete floor. I can share it to FB, Instgram, Vine, Snapchat or whetever all from my phone.

"So all you want is to play your 100fps footage at 25fps and save it on your phone?"
YES! For the love of god, YES! For days I've been trying hundreds of apps and I'm absolutely dumbfounded that this does not exist. In my disbelief I've kept installing the shittiest apps in existence without any good results.

"Woah, this is an awesome idea, how did you come up with it."
Yeah, thanks! I do a lot of sports and lifting. I recently found this app (Technique) that you can use to record yourself and play back frame by frame with overlay lines to improve your game/motion. Then I thought "Hey, I've got this camera that records a 100 frames per seconds, I would see everything so clearly if I used the footage from that!". Only to realize it renders my footage to 25 fps (cutting out 75% of my pressious frames) and then lets me view it frame by frame.

"Dude, the formatting of this request is insane!"
After asking for this kind of app on a few forums without any responses or people simply not getting it I've gotten frustrated and even mad. "Dude just use this app or any other slow motion app, they all work great [links to iTunes app]", "Dude your phone just sucks", "Dude it's not a problem with GoPro" And I'm like, "Dude, I'm on android, I'm not asking about my phone but an app, and I'm not blaming my ****ing camera, just looking for a simple app". So I just wanted to make this request as clear as possible.

Conclusion
This app could potentially serve thousands of people, that just want to quickly share something funny, cool or awesome they shot with their GoPro (or any other camera for that matter) GoPro's app allows for a quick cut and import from the camera, all that is missing is the ability to get that super slick slow motion.

Thanks!

hey, i did something like you are requesting when developing extra features for my app. i think there's such an app because of compability issues. the codec could work on some devices and could not work as intended on other devices. i could add very simple UI and put what i did on playstore if you want to try it out.
but i'm not sure if any of android devices could playback at 120fps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones