• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Video Playback - Framerate issues (jerky playback)

PSUlion01

Jul 25, 2010
Been struggling with this since receiving my X. Seems like no matter what player I use the playback is jerky. It's very subtle, almost as if the video is dropping a frame or so every second. I've tried the stock player, Astro, Rockplayer, mPlayer, Zimly, Act, and the list goes on and the problem still persists.

I've encoded (using handbrake) with all of the settings suggested on the boards and have tweaked things on my own trying to find the proper setting, but still no luck. The strange and frustrating thing is that the exact same files play just fine on my 1st gen iPod touch (clearly an inferior piece of hardware) and on my wife's incredible. These encodes are of standard def DVDs at average settings (a full movie is about 1.3gb, all h.264 mp4 files.

I was able to improve playback by rebooting the X and then playing the video, but this doesn't seem like an acceptable solution every time I want to watch something. I tend to encode and watch a lot of stuff on my commute to/from work, and I'd really like to replace my touch with the X, but the media capabilities are falling way short. Considering switching to the Inc as I know it's able to play my media properly, but I'd prefer to keep the X for the larger screen size (though the Inc does seem to feel better when using one-handed). I'm on the fence right now, but if the X can't function as expected then it might be going back. Unfortunately I only have until the 1st to return it so I don't think I can hold out and see if 2.2 fixes this issue.

Anyone have similar issues and find a solution? Is it possible that the SD card isn't fast enough? Seems unlikely as the Inc had no issues, but at this point i'll try anything.

Thanks in advance...

PSU, I think very few people are interested in video playback on the DX. I've been scouring the interwebs for a video playback solution. I want to be able to watch SD .mkv files (anime on the phone) without having to re-encode them. I believe the 3630 is capable (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I got a replacement X on the 18th and the fascinate is coming out on the 9th (supposedly). If VZW will let me, I'll swap my DX (as much as I love the phone) for a Fascinate which seems to have it's media playback sorted out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones