1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Video playback is choppy

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by krikey, Nov 17, 2011.

1. krikey

krikey Newbie
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    I just bought this phone about 2 weeks ago and love everything about it EXCEPT when it comes to making videos. After recording a video the playback on the phone is fine. However when I transfer the video to my computer the video is choppy and obviously lags. I've tried different video players including vlc, wmv player, and quicktime and all get the same lag. Ive also tried playing on another faster computer. I have all the video codecs as well. I should note, when I upload the same video to youtube, I get only a hint of choppiness with virtually no lag. What could be the problem? Should i return the phone?

Advertisement

2. seanpr123

seanpr123 Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    How are you copying the video off the phone? Wonder if some process is converting/modifying the source? Seems strange that it plays back fine on the phone, makes me think it's either the copy process or the two computers you've tested on.
    Have you rooted or modified the phone at all?

krikey likes this.
  3. krikey

krikey Newbie
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks for responding. That could be it. I will do a test later as I'm really busy at the moment. Instead of using Kies Air (haven't tried yet), I've been using ES file explorer and then going to the LAN tab. Here I do a scan to locate a folder i have shared on my PC. And then i just copy the video file (on my phone) from my DCIM folder in ES file explorer to the LAN folder I just scanned for.

I haven't rooted or modified my phone.

4. krikey

krikey Newbie
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    So I just used Kies air and I'm experiencing the same problem. I tried a video where I'm talking into the camera and there is major lag. It is definitely out of sync with my voice and freezes throughout.

5. ppeklak

ppeklak Newbie
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    maybe your PC just can't handle 1080p playback?

krikey likes this.
  6. krikey

krikey Newbie
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    That is exactly what I was going to post. I think that is the most likely reason for the lag. I know both the computers I played it on don't have the best video card. Because of this I tried putting the video file on my Playstation 3. However it wouldn't play because it said unsupported data or format (something like that). Now I just need a good converter so I can run it on the PS3 and I'll be set. That should prove once and for all where the problem lies. Can anyone recommend one? Thanks again guys for the feedback.

7. Trinhbo

Trinhbo Newbie
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Lowell, MA
    The lag issue is because the computer does not have the correct codecs installed. It does not matter which player you use (e.g., Windows Media Player, VLC, etc). Just go online and search for a H.264 codec and install it on your PC. Your media players should then not lag.

krikey likes this.
  8. seanpr123

seanpr123 Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    That's what I thought at first as well, but doesn't VLC use it's own for playback?

krikey likes this.
  9. ppeklak

ppeklak Newbie
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    maybe when VLC was installed it didn't install the codec pack for some reason. also try googling for cccp...it's a nice little codec pack

krikey likes this.
  10. krikey

krikey Newbie
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I tried reinstalling vlc player and downloaded/installed the recommended cccp codecs. Since I'm still getting the same issue I'm leaning towards it being my video card. I'll be giving a video recorded by phone to a friend to see if he gets the same lag. I'll keep everyone updated.

11. krikey

krikey Newbie
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    UPDATE: I just want everyone to know that since buying a new computer video playback has been perfect. My old computer just couldn't handle the high quality output of the phone. Thanks again for all the feedback.

angel71rs likes this.
  12. angel71rs

angel71rs Member
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    TX
    Thanks for following up on this krikey. I had the same issue with a vid I recorded of my GF's mom's birthday cake cutting. I told her I thought her lappy didn't have enough zots to play it correctly, you pretty much confirmed it.

krikey likes this.
  13. krikey

krikey Newbie
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Glad my post was of some value to you :)