• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video Playing Issues

pm5544

Android Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2013
Scotland
Sorry, forgot I had posted about this previously, can it be merged here please?

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6579871

What could be the cause of when I play a video mp4 whether it be on external sd card or not the video quite often starts to stutter and I often have to reboot the phone.

This happens when using the stock video player or the google photos player.

I have deleted data for the stock player but that hasn't really helped, what could be causing this as it doesn't do it all the time.

It sounds like either the phone's hardware doesn't have the horsepower needed or, more likely, the player app has a bug (that leaks or mismanages memory). I recommend that you install another player app. I've found MX Player to be the best for my phone. It plays almost any kind of video and does it well. If MX Player doesn't solve the problem, uninstall it and try installing a few of the other top-rated video player apps.

If you install a player app, like MX Player, and it solves your problem, then you'll know that the problem is that the stock player app is buggy. If you have the problem regardless of the player app, then it could be because the driver is bad or some Android library is bad (in which case you should make sure that your system ROM is up-to-date).

Reactions: pm5544
Upvote 0
Is there any way of resetting the rom or do I need to wait till the next system update/upgrade? I use Samsung Kies.

I tried one called Android Video Player however when I played my mp4 videos they would either play very slowly or play at the correct speed but the picture didn't look right.

Upvote 0
It sounds like either the phone's hardware doesn't have the horsepower needed or, more likely, the player app has a bug (that leaks or mismanages memory). I recommend that you install another player app. I've found MX Player to be the best for my phone. It plays almost any kind of video and does it well. If MX Player doesn't solve the problem, uninstall it and try installing a few of the other top-rated video player apps.

If you install a player app, like MX Player, and it solves your problem, then you'll know that the problem is that the stock player app is buggy. If you have the problem regardless of the player app, then it could be because the driver is bad or some Android library is bad (in which case you should make sure that your system ROM is up-to-date).

Still has issues with mx player. My system rom is already uptodate so what do I do then?

Also strange is if I play locally stored mp4 by going through file explorer which on this phone is a folder named MyFiles and search by location it normally plays the file fine, wonder why that would be?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones