1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Video Prob:: Why does my 'Incredible' screen stay black w/ red & blue dots?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ShineHigh247, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ShineHigh247

ShineHigh247 Lurker
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Okay,
    I've got a dead screen on my 'HTC Incredible'. I had dropped my phone in a soggy field and I believe that I either stepped on it, or our truck ran over it and pushed it down into the soggy grass/dirt a little bit. When I picked my phone up, it was face up and there was a little bit of water (small puddle) on the screen. The back had a rubber case on it.

At first I couldn't get the phone to power on. After 4-5min on top of my cars defrost, I got it to do what it does now: Powers on but the screen stays black (but lit). I can barely see a few red and blue dots on the screen (stuck pixels, dead pixels, whatever you wanna call them). The bottom line of set buttons (menu,back,etc.) still light up, and even vibrate when I hit them. The phones speaker works as I hear my ringtone when people call, and the "Droooiiid" at boot.

Im thinking that my screen's just dead and if I replace it - i should be back to normal. Am I right on this? I recently bought the phone used off eBay so there's no returning it anywhere. Would the small amount of water on the screen do this, or is it more likely that it had pressure on it messing it up (either my foot or our trucks wheel). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

J

Oh yea, I sat the phone in a bowl of rice overnight and it did nothing.

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    It's anyone's guess as to what's wrong with it... it might just start working completely after a couple weeks (had a blackberry in a similar situation). Could just be the screen, but could also be something on the motherboard. The tiniest amount of water can easily fry something, plus residual contaminates from after the water evaporates.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but only way to know for sure is to just start replacing stuff.

Ps putting it in a bowl of rice can make it worse (tiny rice particles in the phone don't help). Better off with desiccant packets. And even then, quite a few experiments have shown you are just as well off leaving the phone completely alone for a week, attempting to turn it on after contact with water makes the problem worse.

3. ShineHigh247

ShineHigh247 Lurker
    None

Dec 12, 2011
    Thanks for the info. That makes sense about the rice...lucky for me that the rice didnt wedge into the cracks. But unlucky for me that it didn't solve the problem. Ive posted this question all around the 'net and can't find a solution. Im assuming its the SLCD screen, and if that's the case then it would be better for me to buy another phone and part this one out.

Once again, thanks for the response and if you think of anything else that I should try or check out, then bring it on - ill try anything right now!