• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video Thumbnails: Does Android even recognize them?

Media Mogul

Lurker
Dec 21, 2012
Video Thumbnails:

That's the still frame that displays before you play the video. Sometimes they're known as poster frames.

Does Android even recognize them?

The thumbnail image is a vital thing for a small child to be able to use the tablet device to identify and watch a video.

I'm pretty good with video. I use multiple editing applications, and own sophisticated video compression software like Apple's Compressor and Sorenson Squeeze.

Sorenson Squeeze has a setting to choose the thumbnail image for an MPEG-4 movie. But when that movie is imported into my Nexus 7 tablet, it is disregarded. The Nexus just displays any random frame.

Has anyone figured out how to add your own thumbnail image to a video to be displayed in Android?

I assume you mean like a preview similar to ones you get when watching youtube .... scrolling over a section of video ....

.... I know the note 2 has a thing called airview? not sure if its available on other devices. This lets you hover over a section of video to give you a preview. Also it lets you preview (with sound) a video in the library.

Upvote 0
I assume you mean like a preview similar to ones you get when watching youtube .... scrolling over a section of video ....

.... I know the note 2 has a thing called airview? not sure if its available on other devices. This lets you hover over a section of video to give you a preview. Also it lets you preview (with sound) a video in the library.

No, not like YouTube.

When you look through the Gallery app on Android, you can see the videos and photos in your collection, with each one represented by a still image.

It's that still image I'm talking about. I want a way to select which still image from the video is displayed when I scroll through the Gallery.

I wondered if there's a way to add artwork to a single video? That might be a way to get it to display a particular image to represent that video. I don't know.

When a 2-year-old child looks through the Gallery, the child needs to see an image that represents the video, to be able to choose which video to watch.

For this reason, not being able to choose that image is a show-stopper. My Nexus 7 is only weeks old, but unfortunately I'm considering switching to Apple's iOS for this reason alone, as it means a child can't use the Nexus tablet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones