1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Videos on television

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by adkstorm, Oct 30, 2014.

1. adkstorm

adkstorm Newbie

With the LG G3 videos, I can not seem to play the videos on my TV if I transfer the file to a USB thumb drive, which I do with other videos not taken with this phone. On the computer, I need to use VLC to watch it, where Windows Media Center can't not play this type (codec?) of mp4.

Does the video file need to be converted in order to watch a video on the television? If so, can someone explain how and with what software.

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Gremlin256

Gremlin256 Android Enthusiast

I was just about to post same question, transferred the kids movie I recorded on my phone to my wife's GS4 and they would not play.. Any ideas?

3. MozartMan

MozartMan Well-Known Member

guys,

Check video settings in your cameras to see if it is set up to record in UHD 3840x2160, or FHD 1920x1080.

4. Gremlin256

Gremlin256 Android Enthusiast

Mine is set to UHD

5. MozartMan

UHD is Ultra HD, aka 4K video. You can only play those MP4 files on PC with VLC media player. And even then it will be scaled down to the resolution of your monitor.

There are only two (as far as I know) stand alone hardware 4k players, Sony and Samsung.

If you want to play your UND (4k) videos on your UHD (4k) TV (if you have one) you need to buy SlimPort adapter for G3 and play videos from your phone.

My SlimPort adapter should arrive tomorrow and I will go to Costco and try to play UHD videos from my G3 on one of those UHD TVs in the store (if they allow it of course).

KOLIO and adkstorm like this.
  6. adkstorm

adkstorm Newbie

Is there a way to convert the file so it can be played on the TV via thumb drive? .....mp4 format (tv doesn't support mkv)

7. MozartMan

I can load that UHD 2160p MP4 file in my Vegas 12 and then convert to FHD 1080p. I need to research what free tool can do that.

8. MozartMan

adkstorm,

I have good news for you.

I just tested and it worked. The software is Xvid4PSP. It is free. I use it for a long time myself. I just tested latest beta that can open UHD MP4 files and convert to whatever you need.

Go here XviD4PSP 5.10.330 / 7.0.87 Beta and download latest beta version 7.0.87.
    Here is direct link http://www.videohelp.com/download/XviD4PSP-7.0.87-Win32.zip

It doesn't require any installation, just run EXE file.

Another option, like I said in my previous post, is to buy Slimport adapter. I just received one today, tested it with my HDTV playing from the phone, and it worked fine. Here is adapter I bought:
    Amazon.com: Yosenn Slimport to HDMI Adapter for Google Nexus 4/LG optimus G pro/Fujistu Arrows Tab/Asus padfone infinity: Cell Phones & Accessories

9. markfm

markfm Member

Vlc has loads of transcoding functionality built in, should definitely be able to decrease resolution.

10. legalkill

legalkill Android Enthusiast

What about posting to youtube (if resolution reduction is not an issue), then watching through a youtube connection (smart tv/player) or streaming/chromecast. Sort of a work around, but archives a version of the video on youtube.

LG G3 Forum

The LG G3 release date was June 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2/3GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

June 2014
Release Date
Reviews