1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

View rather than download

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by tstuser1, Aug 15, 2011.

1. tstuser1

tstuser1 Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Alrighty,

So I do not own personally an Android but am expected to correctly configure certain storage so that my bosses and employee have access to such. Well...doesn't seem so hard correct? Well it isn't haha.

Just tested out things here and there, even ran an android emulator for my benefit to make sure it works. Here is the problem.

One boss says they want to view the file and not download it (like the pdf's). To my knowledge isn't that impossible at the moment with an android device or is there an app that will allow such? Maybe a setting? Or am I being just a noob.

The only documents I can think will be solely viewed would be .txt and images if I'm not mistaken.

Remember, I am noob-ish at the android thing due to.....insufficient funds of the company to allocate me the item at this current time. If you sensed the sarcasm I thank you :]

By the way, I am running a file server and what not so no worries on that end, just need to know if you HAVE to download the file or not. Or maybe if there is a workaround.

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Welcome to AF.com! Are you trying to set up Android to access a shared folder?

In order to view content, it pretty much needs to be downloaded, I believe. Either that or it needs to be cached (but still downloaded) and later deleted. I don't think ANY mobile device can view a PDF without downloading it somewhere on the device.

tstuser1 likes this.
  3. tstuser1

tstuser1 Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    As the title says to this reply Lol.

Great to know, I'm sure that there will be some sort of application to come out in the near future. All in all it would be nice if the darn Western Digital would come out with more apps for android and what not you know?