1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General View web pages locally?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by HMishkoff, Jul 10, 2011.

1. HMishkoff

HMishkoff Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    'd like to view a website from local storage, using the Browser (not the HTML Viewer), is that possible?
    I transferred the site to a USB flash drive and plugged it in, thinking I could access it something like this:

file:///usb/index.html

But if that's possible, I couldn't figure out the syntax.

So I used the File Manager to transfer the site to an internal directory, and then tried to access it something like this:

file:///MyDirectory/index.html

But that didn't work either.

Is this a URL syntax problem, or is it not possible to do what I'm trying to do?

Advertisement

2. HMishkoff

HMishkoff Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Replying to my own question...

I've discovered that this syntax works as a URL in the Thrive's browser:

file:///sdcard/myFolder/myPage.html

It's not rendering the page exactly the way I expected it to, but that might just be differences between FireFox (my development browser) and Chrome. And it's not playing my video, but I'm thinking that I might be able to resolve that issue by using HTML5 syntax for the video.

3. ushere

ushere Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    interesting - am trying to do the same thing (view our websites when out of wifi).

don't have an sd card yet (on its way), so transferred files to a new internal folder, and found simply tapping a html and 'open in html viewer' gave an error / couldn't open. will try later with your syntax, but i have to say i would have thought this wasn't exactly rocket science to do something so simple....

why is it so difficult doing what any self-respecting browser on and os will do automatically?

and again, thanks for answering your own question here ;-)

4. HMishkoff

HMishkoff Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Well, I guess I should have come back with another update, because my technique worked for a little while, then I downloaded a software update and it stopped working. :(

5. ushere

ushere Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    well i finally sorted it out - installed firefox and bingo, open any html anywhere (sd or internal).

seems the default browsers pretty lame......

6. Darkseas

Darkseas Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    I use both the Opera and Firefox browsers. Opera has a nice feature that allows you, while working in the browser, to save a page to read off line. Haven't tried it, but it's one-touch from the main screen accessible.

You might also like an app called Read It Later which I use all the time on my desktop (but haven't needed yet on my Thrive) that also downloads pages to read later. I use it primary as a bookmarking shortcut.

So yeah, much better options than the default browser.