• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Viewing Different Gmail Account in Browser?

HR613

Lurker
Dec 20, 2009
Hi all. I tried searching for this information but could not find anything about it.

I am considering an Android device (one of the ones on the Rogers network in Canada - and yes I am aware of the "they're all on 1.5 with a chance that they will never be updated" issue) but have some uncertainties.

From what I have read, I can use the HTC Sync app bundled with the Magic/Dream to get my Outlook (pst) contacts into a Gmail account (which is the primary repository for all PIM info in Android, right?) and then the Google Calendar sync to get my Outlook (again, pst) calendar events. Super. Completely understand that (assuming what I said was right).

I've also read (repeatedly) about how you can only have one gmail account in the mail application. I can tolerate that (don't like it, but can live with it). However, if my understanding is correct, Android comes with a Mozilla HTML browser, right? If I opened that and went to http://mail.google.com/ would it open the primary gmail account (the one the phone is linked to) or would it prompt for user/password? Further, if it does autologin, what if I clicked the sign out link and logged in as a different user? Would the phone go "kerpluey"?

To be clear, I'm not expecting Android to sync ANYTHING from this other account; just wondering if I could access (read/respond) the gmail via the web browser. (Example: we're out and my wife wants to look up something in her gmail account using my Android smartphone... is that possible?)

Also, I read about some people discussing the installation of a second instance of the gmail app to get multiple account support. Is that even possible on 1.5? What would it do to things like contacts?

Thanks so much for your help.

You are correct about using the browser to check other gmail accounts. You just sign into gmail like you would on a PC; if you want to check another account, sign off then sign back in with new account information.

jd

Thanks. And just to confirm: this would have no impact on the phone's contact, calendar, etc, right? (I'd hate to do this and then have all my wife's settings in my phone, know what I mean?)

Upvote 0
I am sorry your setup is not very clear to me.

I am assuming you have multiple Gmail accounts and you have been using Outlook to access at least on of the them.

Yes, Android 1.5 can only "Active Sync" 1 account from either Gmail or Microsoft Exchange. Yes, you can use the browser to access other Gmail acount. You can also add additional email accounts using "POP/Other" setup. These won't be "active sync", just email pulls.

Upvote 0
I am sorry your setup is not very clear to me.

I am assuming you have multiple Gmail accounts and you have been using Outlook to access at least on of the them.

Yes, Android 1.5 can only "Active Sync" 1 account from either Gmail or Microsoft Exchange. Yes, you can use the browser to access other Gmail acount. You can also add additional email accounts using "POP/Other" setup. These won't be "active sync", just email pulls.

The setup I'm talking about is having one primary gmail account for the Android phone (the one that it will sync with for all contacts, email, calendar, whatever). Call it "gmail1". "gmail1" will itself be synced with Outlook (contacts, calendar only) external to/independent of the phone. The Outlook email (POP3) will be pulled using a separate application (I never mentioned this, but that's how I figure it'll go).

However, in my reality there is more than just "gmail1" that may need to be checked from time to time ("gmail2/3"... such as my wife's gmail account, a separate gmail account I maintain for other purposes, whatever). They don't need the full sync treatment, but I would need to be able to check/respond to emails via the web browser interface. Does that make more sense?

In summary:
"gmail1" = my personal gmail account/address; the primary Android account
POP3 = my work email that I may choose to get pulled to my phone (undecided)
"gmail2/3" = other gmail addresses that may occasionally use the browser to read/send mail

Upvote 0
Thanks. And just to confirm: this would have no impact on the phone's contact, calendar, etc, right? (I'd hate to do this and then have all my wife's settings in my phone, know what I mean?)

No impact at all; you are just using the browser to view other gmail accounts, not setting up a phone/gmail relationship. As another forum member pointed out, you can all use the POP3 client to get to your other gmail accounts if you need to get at them regularly, or just forward them to your gmail account and use filtering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones