1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Viewing Encrypted Files/Polaris Viewer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lildevilchic, Jul 27, 2013.

1. lildevilchic

lildevilchic Lurker

I've had my Galaxy S3 for several months now through T-Mobile. I have a DropBox account which I have downloaded on my computer and on my phone so I can access files on either device (like a cloud). I created a word document on my computer and then made it encrypted with a password. I placed this file in my dropbox on my computer so I could access it on my phone. It used to work fine, and now all of the sudden it won't open the file.

I used to be able to open dropbox on my phone, click on the document and then it would open in Polaris Viewer and prompt me for the password. I'd type it in and everything was fine-working like it was supposed to.

I tried to open the document earlier in the week and when I clicked on the document I got a message that stated "This document cannot be opened." I've been playing with the setting on my computer for the last hour or so trying to figure it out and can't.:mad: I even saved the document as a word 97-2003 document. This would allow me to open and get to the password prompt screen, but when I type in the password (the same one that works on the computer) it now tells me that the password is incorrect.

I use this file often and I don't know why all of the sudden it's not letting me either open the file, or it's telling me the password is incorrect. I tried the same thing on my boyfriends galaxy s3 and it's the same situation. I even tried using SkyDrive and no luck. I don't know if it's a setting issue, update issue, or if Polaris Viewer can no longer support encrypted files....if this is the case, can someone point me in the direction of being able to open an encrypted file on my phone? Thanks

Advertisement

2. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Choose compassion over cruelty
    VIP Member

Hi there, lildevilchic. I'm sorry no one's been able to offer help yet. :( But I'm going to move this to the Galaxy S3 forum, where there should be lots of help! :)

3. jkhc2000

jkhc2000 Lurker

I am not a techie, but I find that this works for me.

1. Use Adobe Acrobat program and convert your MS Word document to a PDF file.
    2. Encrypt your PDF file (Password Protect -- a function in Adobe Acrobat)
    3. Save PDF file in Cloud.
    ---------
    4. Download and install Adobe Reader at Google Play.
    5. Open Cloud.
    6. Click on PDF document.
    7. Complete action using --click on Adobe Reader.
    8. Click -- Just Once.
    9. Enter Password
    10. Click OK
    There you have it.

Hope that this helps.

jkhc

4. jkhc2000

jkhc2000 Lurker

Another way is to install Kingsoft Office at Google Play. It is free.
    You will be able to read encrypted MS Word and MS Excel files.
    jkhc