1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Viewing Networked Files (Images Specifically) on Galaxy Tab 10.1

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by UKCatFan, Jul 9, 2011.

1. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    I asked this over on the Galaxy Tab forum, but didn't get any responses so I figured I would try here:

We bought the SGT a few days ago for my wife. I had already done my homework on how to access networked locations. I have been successful using ES File Explorer and File Manager HD to view the images. I have even been able flip through them like the gallery with ES. It is a little slower than I would like, but the lack of file options are what really frustrate us. It seems that to share the pic to anything, it must first be copied to the tablet. In the FM HD program I can share without a problem, but can only view one image at a time which is really frustrating. I also think it is caching the whole image to the tab, which could end up using a lot of space.

So here is my question. Is there a way to make these apps work for us that I am just missing or is there another app that will work better? I tried Astro and it kept crashing. Also, is the lagging speed showing thumbnails and accessing images something that can be improved? (this is compared to a Win 7 pc on the same network both using Wifi N)

I have an alternative idea of my own. I have been thinking about using Flickr to backup all my pics anyway. Maybe having her access them through there with an app like Just Pictures might be faster since I believe it defaults to the large size instead of original. Most of my pics are 12MP converted from RAW files that average 6-7MB in size.

If I cannot get this working the way she wants it might be a deal killer and this thing might be going back.

Advertisement

2. woodsb123

woodsb123 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 26, 2010
    Still confused by what exactly is your question and what it is that you are trying to accomplish. Could you be more specific? Also, when you mentioned - network location, are you referring to the fact that your pictures are on a computer connected to your network and thats how you access them on your tablet.

3. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Is there an app that can view networked files on a Windows pc that will also allow me to directly share the image from there? By that I mean: attach to a message, attach to an email, upload to Facebook, etc, etc. Like I said before, I can do that in File Manager HD, but it is a royal pain for navigation and is caching each and every image you look at locally. If that cache is not cleared it could get HUGE and it is also no fun not being able to scroll through images. I really like the way ES views them because they are scroll-able and it does not seem to be building a huge cache. The problem with it is that there are no sharing options when looking at a networked file. So the only way to share it is to copy it locally, share it, then delete the local copy. Again, this is a pain. I understand that Android is still fairly new so there might not be an app that will satisfy me. Also, both apps access speed is incredibly slower than other computers on the same wifi network. Is there an app that is faster or is the OS that is holding the speed back?

Otherwise my wife is really liking the SGT. This one thing could make her return it though because she does a lot of image sharing on Facebook and by e-mail. Our image collection is nearing 90GB, so storing locally on the tab is simply not an option.

4. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Anyone have any ideas?