• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Viewing photos with black in them, black looks distorted?

Punkrulz24

Apr 29, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm sure this has something to do with the screen being AMOLED, however it's a pretty annoying problem. If I'm browsing through pictures on facebook or somewhere and the picture is dark and has black in it, many times I'll notice that the black looks completely distorted and blotchy... it looks as if though the picture was zoomed in beyond it's standard resolution causing the distortion, even though this isn't the case.

Has anyone experienced this?

It's the weekend, you may need to give folks a bit of time to catch back up to the forums - Sunday and all, you know.

I don't use Facebook - but it sounds like you're either describing a defective phone - or massive jpeg compression.

And the latter is pretty common. Have you viewed the same pictures on a PC, preferably with a calibrated monitor?

Not sure if you're familiar with jpeg compression. When the first LCD HDTVs hit they full of compression artifacts - any solid-color field was a rainbow.

Here's a quick snap of overcompression -

met_img_jpegcompress.jpg

All - all - jpegs are compressed, but some are much worse than others.

And a common complaint with Facebook on Android is getting lower-res photos being fed from Facebook - we hear that all of the time regarding contact photos.

Upvote 0
Early,

I'm going to verify if it's just facebook or if it's other websites as well. Facebook is terrible for them but I also have more accessibility to photos through facebook, so I need to find another site to verify. If Facebook is indeed displaying low-res photos then that would explain the issue. I don't believe I've had this issue on the PC, only the Android.

Upvote 0
Early,

I just looked at the same picture on both my phone and my friends Galaxy S3. The picture looks completely washed out on my phone, and looks completely normal on his. Even looking at the phones with the cameras on his looks more detailed, mine slightly washed out.

Applications and everything look beautiful, but photos are iffy. What can I do to troubleshoot this further?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones