• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Viewsonic 10" Gtab 1GHz Tegra 2 $379 @ Sears.com

It has 16GB internal memory and also has additional micro SD card slot for expanded memory.

I will confirm tomorrow exactly what you need to do, but Google docs should allow you to perform basic functions of some of office features. I will get back to you with more detail/confirmation tomorrow.

If you need to use word or excel often, I would advise that you consider netbooks or laptops. I exprienced/heard that it is somewhat difficult in typing for a long duration on tablets - Archos, iPad, ViewSoncis, and etc.

Thank you,

Hey, thanks for all of the reviews! It's appreciated, especially since I'm considering it over the Archos models now. Can you please snap some pictures of the tablet? I have seen the videos, but pictures would be great, too. If not, then it's okay. Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
Correction on some of my comment above.

The device does not currently have Flash 10.1 and PocketGear as I have indicated on the previous post.

I will provide update on the when the software update will occur.

Please ensure that you register your device once you purchase the device so that software update can pushed down to your unit.

Thank you all for the feedback and Let me know of any issues with this device. I will do my best to get back to you.

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to hold off until later in the month since now it's only in-store pickup, which would slap sales tax ($31) on top of the price. Shipping would be better ($7).

I get a phat bonus later in the month anyway. I should wait until I have that cash.

And tripwire, you seriously don't think someone will hack the unit to get custom ROMs on it? Really?

Upvote 0
Hi. I will respond to your question regardless. The unit itself does not have HDMI out. However, the manufacturer may be working on the docking station that incorporates HDMI out. I will follow up and confirm. The docking station is not currently available.

For everything else, it does work fairly nice. It has some pros and cons when compared to iPad, but it certainly is a solid tablet. After reviewing the factory sample:
Pros compared to iPad:
- UI that shows 3 different select applications at the same time on your main screen,
- Provides more flexibility with USB, micro USB and microSD slots
- 16:9 ratio for better video streaming experience
- Supports flash. I will check with the manufacturer regarding 10.1, but we tested some flash based websites such as Foxchannel and the video streaming worked fine.
- Multitask
- Camera-built in. You can video chat on wifi using the camera that is already built in. You can also take picture and video although quality may not meet your standard.
- $100 less than iPad wifi version.
- It is not Apple

Cons compared to iPad:
- When trying to multi-task too much, system may run slow. By allowing the user to multi-task, it increased the flexibility, but it does not 100% guarantee working without any kind of lag - especially when you try to open 5 different apps in 3 seconds.
- Number of apps and popularity. ViewSonic provides its own market place for apps where users can grab additional application. G-tab does not have as many apps as iPad does, but it still has good number of apps. To my understanding, they partnered with PocketGear. Please visit if PocketGear to see if it has the apps that you may need. More accessories for G-tab is coming, but not as many as accessories made for iPad. There are more work places that accommodate iPads compared to any other Android based tablets. Of course, people next to you won't recognize this tablet as of yet, but they may ask "Oh, that's really cool. What is it?"
- It (G-Tab) is not Apple.

Listed above is some of key comparison between the G-Tab and iPad in my opinion. Other hardware spec should be fairly similar against the wifi version of iPad. G-Tab does not have 3G.

Let me know if you have additional information or any kind of feedback.

Thank you,

Please note that I am a current employee of Sears/Kmart Electronics. However, my views do not necessarily represent that of Sears Holdings Corp.

PS - I have learned that there will be software update to provide Flash and market place. It is important for the users to register their device, so that the update can be pushed out.

Reports are that Flash 10.1 final does not work with the Tegra 2 chipset. Due to consumer protection laws, Viewsonic needs to either get Flash working or remove it from the box and manual, since California and other states with strict consumer laws will smack them down.

All of the firmware issues get fixed (laggy UI, a lot of apps like Angry Birds do not work and no Flash) this will be a great tablet.

Reported issues so far:

Laggy UI
No Flash
Region settings not remembered
Microsd only seen if installed before start up
Almost no games tried will work (Angry Birds is an example)

TONS of potential, but surprised the device was shipped without making sure it worked well and features advertised actually work.

BTW, I am trying to buy one, but sold out.

Upvote 0
TONS of potential, but surprised the device was shipped without making sure it worked well and features advertised actually work.

BTW, I am trying to buy one, but sold out.

Are you joining me on the Dark Side :) I picked up one that was in stock in a Sears store just under an hour away today... and canceled my 101 pre-order from 9/20 as J&R couldn't provide any firm delivery date...

Non Techies that aren't so concerned with Flash right away will like the overlay Launcher... it presents a great user interface for the things 'everyman' would find useful in a tablet...

For the Techie in me it's got to go... or get hidden mostly completely to rid the considerable overhead from this nice piece of hardware... It is a Malata Hybrid... they didn't try to hide that as it states it simply in the build.prop...

They didn't leave it easy to root so will be a bit of work... ADB not working out of the box... there is some confused software in this initial release but yes it has a lot of promise going forward... and if you search and/or are lucky you can bring one home from Sears...

Upvote 0
Are you joining me on the Dark Side :) I picked up one that was in stock in a Sears store just under an hour away today... and canceled my 101 pre-order from 9/20 as J&R couldn't provide any firm delivery date...

Non Techies that aren't so concerned with Flash right away will like the overlay Launcher... it presents a great user interface for the things 'everyman' would find useful in a tablet...

For the Techie in me it's got to go... or get hidden mostly completely to rid the considerable overhead from this nice piece of hardware... It is a Malata Hybrid... they didn't try to hide that as it states it simply in the build.prop...

They didn't leave it easy to root so will be a bit of work... ADB not working out of the box... there is some confused software in this initial release but yes it has a lot of promise going forward... and if you search and/or are lucky you can bring one home from Sears...

I canceled my 101 since J&R LIED about 11/1 and ordered the G-Tablet tonight, but will be about a week before I see it.

Tap UI will probably not be able to be purged, unless you want to lose the mapping for USB host, video codecs, internal allocated app storage, hardware buttons specific to the hardware, etc.

Seems the only logical option is to customize the OEM rom or not have hardly any of the device's hardware functions. The key reason for most of the custom UIs by OEMs is all of the custom hardware that Android can not cover on its own.

Flash is not working because Flash 10.1 Final does not work with Tegra 2, but the betas apparently did. Adobe and Nvidia are working on it, but not sure about Viewsonic. They had better, or they will get sued in California and other strict consumer protection places. The STATE will sue them if sold there and a consumer files a complaint.

In short, you can not state it has Flash support in big bold letters and it does not.

Upvote 0
Tap UI will probably not be able to be purged, unless you want to lose the mapping for USB host, video codecs, internal allocated app storage, hardware buttons specific to the hardware, etc.

Seems the only logical option is to customize the OEM rom or not have hardly any of the device's hardware functions. The key reason for most of the custom UIs by OEMs is all of the custom hardware that Android can not cover on its own.

I don't really want to purge it completely, it's actually nice for general use... once I loaded LauncherPro as default with Home switcher the normal operations are smooth as silk... still really want to get adb working... then root to be able to get some useful root apps (autostarts and autokiller) running and I'll be all set, but have good ways to go and not a lot of available time right now or next couple days to tinker as busy at work... so I'll enjoy it as it stands for a couple days...

Upvote 0
I don't really want to purge it completely, it's actually nice for general use... once I loaded LauncherPro as default with Home switcher the normal operations are smooth as silk... still really want to get adb working... then root to be able to get some useful root apps (autostarts and autokiller) running and I'll be all set, but have good ways to go and not a lot of available time right now or next couple days to tinker as busy at work... so I'll enjoy it as it stands for a couple days...

I hope that by the time I get mine, working Flash is added and fixes for the bugs by Viewsonic :) .......... :thinking:

Upvote 0
Rushmore,

That certainly is the plan and it should be addressed as soon as possible.

Initial shipments were sold quicker, but the second batch of inventory should be available on Sears.com and local stores.

Thank you,

I tried to get one, but the only option is "ship to store" and they told me 12 to 16 days before the Sears where I live in Kentucky will get my order.

They charged my card already, which seems very odd for a product not even shipped yet or sold to me at the store. It would not be a problem if just a few days, but two weeks is a stretch.

Upvote 0
I tried to get one, but the only option is "ship to store" and they told me 12 to 16 days before the Sears where I live in Kentucky will get my order.

They charged my card already, which seems very odd for a product not even shipped yet or sold to me at the store. It would not be a problem if just a few days, but two weeks is a stretch.

On my First one... I ordered Online and used Paypal... they did Not bill initially but sent this confirm...
----
You submitted an order in the amount of $403.74 USD to Sears Holding Corporation.
Thanks for using PayPal. Please note that this is not a charge. Your account will becharged when the merchant processes your payment. You may receive multiple emails as the merchant processes your order.

Your funds will be transferred when the merchant processes your payment. Any money in your PayPal account at that time will be used before any other payment source.
----
I ended up charging to my charge card when I picked up...

I thought that this Malata Hybrid has so much promise, I decided to buy a second today to use for dev and testing... seems I got last 2 in MA with a 45min. ride to 2 seperate stores .(furthest 2 stores in state from Boston)... I think it was worth the 3hrs. travel in 2 days...

Definitely load Home Switcher and LauncherPro as it makes a huge diff over TapNTap... though still have missing Notification bar as seems TapnTap modifes Framework... but that's a fix for later...

Good Luck... Hope you get it soon...

Upvote 0
Hello. The unit has USB connector, so it should work with USB mouse or keyboard.

Another nice feature of this device is that it has bluetooth as well. There are some keyboards out utilizing bluetooth technology that allows you to use wireless keyboard.

From a faily reliable source... The bluetooth and some USB keyboards will not work on Google platform as the code is not written for Android.

More bluetooth and USB accessories should be coming out soon for Android tablets.

Upvote 0
From a faily reliable source... The bluetooth and some USB keyboards will not work on Google platform as the code is not written for Android.

More bluetooth and USB accessories should be coming out soon for Android tablets.

I know a number of folks have been successful using bluetooth keyboards using the KeyPro app explained here;

KeyPro - Android Trial - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
For anyone who's interested in benchmarks... I ran Quadrant Standard on my gtab today and was pleased with the resulting 1850 score on the initial run...

I still haven't had a lot of time to spend this week on this but that was pretty impressive as my overclocked Moto Droid1 (A8) running at 1.2 GHZ scores a best 1630... Quadrant is a more like realworld benchmark that aggregates CPU Perf, Mem speed, and video decoding and playing at fastest attainable rate so if it's faster at quadrant you will probably notice it faster when you use your phone or tablet... this being Unlike tests like LinPack that don't always equate to real-world use very much...

Upvote 0
Hi. I have some update for some of the problems reported on the G-tablet.

Flash - update will be availabe in very near future. It seems like the manufacturing date and the launch date of Flash 10.1 did not match perfectly. It will be working fine through update.

App Portal - PocketGear Portal will be available through update. It will have a separate section for G-Tab which will include hundreds of free apps. I understand that there were a lot of apps that does not work when tried to side load. What I am hearing is that some apps that were designed for smaller screen and phones would not work with G-Tab. With PocketGear, the apps will work fine for G-Tabs.

The software update will be available constantly throughout its life cycle. Some of the updates will include app portal, Flash, and additional video codec. Please register your unit or visit the website of ViewSonic. Meet the ViewSonic G Tablet - gTablet

Please let me know of any additional issues. I willcontinue to work with the manufacturer and Sears to resolve issue or provide more information.

Thank you,

Upvote 0
Hello, everyone.
I found this on the internet and I tried to contact viewsonic with no luck.
Anyone that bought this tablet tried to contact them?

Viewsonic 10" Android WiFi Tablet —

Although sears is displaying the dual boot Viewsonic "ViewPad" the item I will tell you not to buy is the 10" G-Tablet. This may apply to ViewPad too. No support! VS tech support can't even locate any of the 10" G-tablets info. The phone support provided "Quick Start Guide" is no longer in service. Most apps don't work. Flash is outdated and no way to update it. There is no settings to update the firmware. Viewsonic.com/gtablet has no support for this product, although stated in documentation to go to their help page. The ViewPad is out 11/2/10 and this model has not support either. I call tech from another number for the G-Tablet and they can't even find the product. So, Viewsonic has push to get the tablets out before preparing/ready to provide product support by phone and website.
Also, the main screen is a weather page - Can't change it! G-tablet is heading back to sears.

posted by coco3214’s Review

Relating To Viewsonic G Tablet "Don't BUY" - Viewsonic 10" Android WiFi Tablet - MySears Community

Upvote 0
Naysses,

The tech support number is found on their website as well as on the previous comment of this thread. The link and number is Link: Meet the ViewSonic G Tablet - gTablet

1-866-501-6405

I am able to get hold of the support team without a delay. I can also help you and anyone with resolving issue right away.

Just to clarify again, this unit is not double boot. It is Android 2.2 system with TabNTab UI, and the software update is scheduled to take place in very near future. Please refer to my previous post.

Please feel free to send me a message if you need help with anything.

Thank you,

Please note that I am a current employee of Sears and Kmart Electronics. However, my views do not necessarily represent that of my company.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones