1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Virgin LG Volt with huge battery drain issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LGVoltVirginMobileUserX, Nov 24, 2014.

1. LGVoltVirginMobileUserX

None

Nov 24, 2014
    I bought a Virgin Mobile LG Volt about a month ago and it is having significant issues with battery life.

I bought it because battery life is one of the most important features for me and it has a huge battery. Unfortunately now I'm wondering if Virgin requested a beefed up battery to make up for a bug with the phone. For me, the battery lasts about 1.5 days with pretty moderate use - I might make one or two calls/texts, get bus directions 3 or 4 times and check e-mail 3 or 4 times during that period. Other than that I just check the time here and there. The screen is probably on for a total of 10-20 minutes.

Downloading "battery saver" set to intelligent power did nothing to noticably improve the battery life. I think there is an issue with the cell radio. In SETTINGS > ABOUT PHONE > BATTERY > BATTERY USE, cell standby is listed as using 74% of the battery. In cell standby, it lists Time without a signal as 97%.

I would brush this off as the wrong phone for where I live and work, but I can ALWAYS make and receive calls without any issue. The phone usually shows 0 or 1 bar at rest, but I can always make or receive calls and the call quality is always perfect. I have tried making lots of calls when I have no bars and they always work as well. As soon as a call comes in or I dial out, the bars suddenly jump to 3 or 4. Also, I live in a US metro of over 500,000 about a mile from downtown in a residential neighborhood - not New York, but not in the middle of nowhere... All major carriers show service at my house, including Virgin.

I've measured battery drain with no use a few times. In the "no signal but perfect service zones" it is between 4 and 7 percent loss per hour. This is pretty ridiculous for a 3 week old phone with a battery the size of the VOlT's.

I have seen some suggestions of issues with cell radio or settings, but no concrete description of a problem with this phone or a solution. Any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    Try taking it off LTE?

Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > Network mode

It's odd, cell standby is always high like that for me, and just about everyone, but I can go 2-3 days easy without charging if my use is as low as yours. I also have Connections Optimizer on.

My data has been throttled since last week so I just put it on CDMA only mode and cell standby is significantly reduced (currently at 2% after 4 hours off charge, just sitting), but there is no change in my battery life.

I have several stock apps removed, but probably less than most people.

3. LGVoltVirginMobileUserX

None

Nov 24, 2014
    Wow, I turned the network mode to CDMA only (per your suggestion bg4m3r) and the battery %age appears to be decreasing at less than half the previous rate - 1 or 1.5% per hour.

Its unfortunate that I can't keep LTE enabled, but I found an app that puts a shortcut to that menu on my home screen, so its not so inconvenient to turn it on when needed.

From a bit more digging, it sounds like this might be an issue with Sprint's network and it may be resolved when they have Spark in the local market...Though I might have a new phone by the time that happens...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/...-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

bg4m3r likes this.
  4. 3simplex

3simplex Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 4, 2013
    Male
    Network Administrator
    Jacksonville Florida
    Yeah, I have "everything" on all day, and I forget to charge it some nights. Unless i'm playing some game or watching videos it will run for at least a day and a half. No juice defender needed. I do freeze "boost" apps and almost anything i don't install myself. (Jax, Fl)

5. LGVoltVirginMobileUserX

None

Nov 24, 2014
    Fully charged and unplugged at 6:50 PM yesterday and now it has 86% at 8:20 AM - so it is losing around 1% per hour. This looks to have worked, thanks.

bg4m3r likes this.
  6. EazySteve

EazySteve Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 10, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't think having to manually turn lte off is a good fix. And should be fixed, patched with some sort of software update from lg or sprint

7. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    It's probably more an issue with the service in his area rather than the software on the phone. I have LTE, location services, and bluetooth on 24/7 and get 2 days per charge.

8. bobdole888

bobdole888 Member
    None

Jan 27, 2015
    I keep LTE turned off to have 4+ days of battery life.
    People should keep in mind that LTE is only used for data and not for voice or text.
    There is practically NO REASON for having your phone keep LTE alive on standby.
    Unless you are downloading a large file in the background or something.
    The only time you need to have LTE is you are actively using your phone for something requiring high bandwidth. If that's the case, you just simple need to enable only when needed. Add a shortcut on your home screen to turn it on/off for convenience.

It's true that some other phone can do better with LTE on. My ZTE force only uses 10% per day with LTE on.

Personally I don't have problems manually enabling LTE as needed for a workaround.

Tags: