• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] 4.3 coming to GS3

Ab5traktion

Android Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2012
Read an interesting article today. It said that Samsung is waiting until October/November to upgrade the GS3 to 4.2.2. But since 4.3 is coming out at about that time, GS3 will more than likely skip 4.2.2 and go straight to 4.3. Plus, when 5.0 comes out, GS3 will be upgraded to that also. It's nice to know that the GS3 still has a future even with the GS4 being out and GS5 coming out next year.

I would've thought Sammy would EOL that phone. Seen it too many times before.

True and what's sad is that the Moto Triumph was EOL less than 3 months from when it came out which made a lot of people (including myself) regret getting it.

Btw if we're rooted will we be able to receive the OTA update to 4.3? The last OTA update I ever heard VM gave was for the Intercept a long time ago and I thought that if you're rooted the OTA update doesn't work or you'd be unrooted.

Upvote 0
True and what's sad is that the Moto Triumph was EOL less than 3 months from when it came out which made a lot of people (including myself) regret getting it.

Btw if we're rooted will we be able to receive the OTA update to 4.3? The last OTA update I ever heard VM gave was for the Intercept a long time ago and I thought that if you're rooted the OTA update doesn't work or you'd be unrooted.

If your rooted, you don't take the ota. You flash the rooted update from recovery.

Easy peezy

Reactions: BigBossman
Upvote 0
Ota's will always fail on rooted devices because of custom recovery, even if you weren't rooted why take an update before the community has a chance to dissect it to see what it contains, both good and bad. The community usually has a flashable zip available within a day or two for root with all the nasty bits removed. :D
OB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones