• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] 4.4

aww ok, i tried to do it on my phone but i didn't flash in CWM, but i deleted all four lines... this time i'll try the other way.

I would highly recommend doing it on your computer, then you have a copy available in a location besides your phone. Follow the tutorial I made and you will be fine, the procedures are the same for 4.4.x as they are for 4.3.x. If need be I can also upload the version I have to Dropbox and provide a link, let me know. Also currently recommending either TWRP 2.6.3.0 or Philz Touch 6.0.0.8 as recovery of choice.

Upvote 0
I would highly recommend doing it on your computer, then you have a copy available in a location besides your phone. Follow the tutorial I made and you will be fine, the procedures are the same for 4.4.x as they are for 4.3.x. If need be I can also upload the version I have to Dropbox and provide a link, let me know. Also currently recommending either TWRP 2.6.3.0 or Philz Touch 6.0.0.8 as recovery of choice.

i am doing on my computer but everytime i change the update script and save it. i re-open it and it no changes were made. it just goes back to the original as if i never did anything

EDIT: I had to move it out of the .zip, edit, then move it back into the rom .zip... dumb mistake, i should've known that!

Upvote 0
i am doing on my computer but everytime i change the update script and save it. i re-open it and it no changes were made. it just goes back to the original as if i never did anything

What program are you using? My tutorial has all the computer programs and steps laid out in the OP if you need. Also, am uploading my copy to Dropbox right now, it has no assert lines and is debloated of live wallpapers and a few other things.

P.S. once you have a correctly modified updater-script on hand, it can just be used to replace the updater-script in any future releases of the ROM, just drag and drop.

Upvote 0
What program are you using? My tutorial has all the computer programs and steps laid out in the OP if you need. Also, am uploading my copy to Dropbox right now, it has no assert lines and is debloated of live wallpapers and a few other things.

P.S. once you have a correctly modified updater-script on hand, it can just be used to replace the updater-script in any future releases of the ROM, just drag and drop.

Okay, i got it. I'll for sure download that too. just in case. I used all you said to you use, i just had to move the updater script out the rom .zip, edit then replace it back in the rom .zip

Upvote 0
Yes, very smooth.
But I still can't see my all internal storage.
Strange bug. Haven't tried formating internal storage yet. Any concerns about doing that?

Can you please define "not seeing internal storage." I have been running the first nightly for CM 11 since it was released a few days ago and ES File Explorer finds my internal storage just fine. My computer does as well when plugged in via USB. Also, what recovery are you using? Like several of the frequent contributors on here, I am now a HUGE fan of Philz Touch, and previously I thought nothing would pry me away from TWRP. You may want to switch to Philz if you aren't on it currently, do a complete wipe (twice just to be sure) and then reinstall from scratch. Let me know and good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones