• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] 4g connectivity

revins95

Feb 2, 2013
I wanted to ask if anyone who knows for a fact that they are in a VM/Sprint 4g area is having problems connecting to 4g. I live in Tampa,FL which is confirmed to have strong full 4g coverage by both Virgin mobile and Sprint networks.
My S3 shows the 4g symbol in the status bar but I cannot connect to any network other than 3g and any internet apps or activities say that I'm not connected.
All other services work such as SMS, MMS, calling and 3g. But 4g is broke:(
Does anyone know the root of the problem or a possible fix? (I am completely stock And without root)

yea sounds like a defective radio, or it may be something on their end - they may need to add you to a list. I had similar issues with my EVO V. I made several phone calls to VM customer support. After the third one I was able to get things working. (because I called from another line and kept them on the phone till they fixed it)

When/if you call virgin, make sure you call from a phone other than your S3, and keep them on the line till they fix the issue. Go through all the steps they give you over the phone.

Upvote 0
I have recently gone to visit my mother (she lives in Tampa as well but on other side of the river) and when I went there I got a faint signal. But when I saw the 4g symbol the internet worked perfectly fine. Speeds were very fast. I haven't tested it on speed test but I believe I live in an area that is just horrible. That or it could be the radios fading in and out cuz this is the first time I've been able to see signs of true 4g since buying it. I'm still looking into it

Upvote 0
yea sounds like a defective radio, or it may be something on their end - they may need to add you to a list. I had similar issues with my EVO V. I made several phone calls to VM customer support. After the third one I was able to get things working. (because I called from another line and kept them on the phone till they fixed it)

When/if you call virgin, make sure you call from a phone other than your S3, and keep them on the line till they fix the issue. Go through all the steps they give you over the phone.
Yea I called from the house because using the cell itself didn't help in the past because certain steps involve restarting the phone and thus ending the call

Upvote 0
So I have just confirmed that I do in fact have 4g connectivity. But even in the best of areas it is depressingly slow even in comparison to some friends with the same phone on the same plan. It is looking more and more like the radios may be at fault for me since customer service was unable to aid me.

I purchased the phone from amazon however so would anyone know whether I would still be able to get a replacement or if there is a radio fix

Upvote 0
Just one has the s3 but his seems to be just fine throughout the city. He says that when he has the 4g symbol it works just fine. While at my home with WiFi off and LTE on I can't get it to work, to where as when I'm out and about it seems to work but painfully slow in comparison to my friend with the same phone on the same network. But 3g works similarly on both. I might just have gotten lucky and received a defect

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones