1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Virgin Mobile] All-In-One Custom ROM User Guide

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by struckn, Nov 6, 2013.

1. taatoken

taatoken Member
    None

Mar 5, 2012
    I did do that, first i got a status 4 error, so i removed the .txt. now i get a status 7
    Got other roms to work just not PACMAN, wierd!

Advertisement

2. XAL2

XAL2 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 25, 2012
    Male
    Stagehand
    Niles, Illinois
    So deleted the assert lines?

3. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member Thread Starter
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    This has happened to me when trying to flash HellFire 4.3.x; try replacing the updater-script from the PAC-Man ROM you're trying to flash with one from another ROM you have successfully flashed, just make sure it is also a 4.3.x based ROM. Just open both ROM's and drag the working updater-script over to the PAC-Man ROM. Basically, the updater-scripts are the same across Android builds except for the visuals some devs include at the beginning (it will show up as "ui print..." right after the assert lines, and is just for looks, has nothing to do with the actual flashing of the ROM). You can actually just modify one "master copy" and keep it on your desktop for use in this same manner whenever you download a new ROM-just drag and drop!

TheBritton and ssethv like this.
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Lurker
    None

Dec 25, 2013
    I have taken out the assert lines and installed the CyanFox rom(can't link cause I'm new here). I have philz installed too. I'm stuck in a bootloop, because my phone keeps saying there is a UID mismatch. I don't know how to fix this. I had previously used cwm before I found this guide, so I reinstalled it and fixed permissions, but that didn't do anything. I've also wiped dalvik cache and the "normal" cache, which has not done anything either. I've reinstalled philz and I do not know what to do. Specifically it is saying: "System UIDs Inconsistent: You need to wipe data partition or your device will be unstable." and then it reboots. Can anyone help me?

5. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Did you do the full wipe in Philz? It is called "Clean to install new ROM." Do it twice just to be sure. Then flash Cyanfox. I flashed that one last night so I know it will boot. Let me know.

TheMusicMan likes this.
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Lurker
    None

Dec 25, 2013
    Actually, I went back to the original rom file and changed the asserts, instead of deleting them and the rom worked :). Now I nus tneed to figure out the APN settings, cause 4g is not working.

7. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Good deal on getting it running! Have you flashed one of MopedRyder's APN fixes? That should be your next step if you haven't, see OP for a link.

TheMusicMan likes this.
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Lurker
    None

Dec 25, 2013
    Ya, I'm about to flash one of the fixes right now. Sucks that I have to choose between LTE or MMS both ways, but I think I'll go with mms both ways.

9. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Check out some of the discussion towards the end of my CM thread, several members seem to have figured out how to get LTE and MMS working using Hangouts as the default SMS app. I don't have LTE in my area (just checked the Sprint coverage map today and the entire Rocky Mountain region seems to be just one big blank spot as far as Sprint is concerned, so frustrating!) so I can't be of much help there, I will say that I have had zero problems sending and receiving MMS with Hangouts on KitKat, but once again, everything is 3G for me when not on home WiFi.

TheMusicMan likes this.
  10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Lurker
    None

Dec 25, 2013
    I'll check out that discussion. Thanks for your help!

struckn likes this.
  11. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    For sure, no problem! Looks like my friends iMaYG and ssethv have managed to find the correct combination, their responses are on the last page of the thread.

My CyanogenMod Thread

TheMusicMan likes this.
  12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Lurker
    None

Dec 25, 2013
    Do I need to wipe and backup before flashing the fix? Hope not :/

13. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Nope, just flash away! It never hurts to wipe just cache and Dalvik if you desire though. Additionally, to get into the APN's once the ROM is up and running, you need to use the Voice Dialler app, open it and say "Open APN" slowly and clearly. Once you are up and running in terms of all fixes and mods and tweaks and customization, however, definitely make a backup; you can never be too safe when it comes to having backups on hand!

TheMusicMan and ssethv like this.
  14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Lurker
    None

Dec 25, 2013
    The "Open APN" command doesn't do anything for me. :/

15. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    On 4.4.x it should bring up a dialog box and then press "Open APN's" it should be the only option available if Google understood your voice request. Saying "Edit APN" works as well.

16. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    I don't know about other launchers, but on Nova you can also set up a shortcut to the APN's if you want:

Long press screen
    Choose "Shortcuts"
    Choose "Activities"
    Choose "Settings"
    Choose "APNs"

There will now be a shortcut icon on your home screen.

17. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Lurker
    None

Dec 25, 2013
    Well, 3g and mms are working, so it doesn't seem like I need to change APN settings. If I decide to switch to the 4g fix, how do I disable the 3g/mms fix or do i just flash the new fix?

18. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    I would assume wipe cache and Dalvik, then just flash that fix, it should override the other one. Can't say for sure because I have no LTE so have only ever needed the 3G/MMS fix, but probably a safe guess based on the nature of flashing these types of .zip files.

19. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Those of you who are dependent on Titanium Backup like I am, stay away from the 12/27 update. It will force close TB every time you try to select an app. I had to restore a ROM nandroid from yesterday, open Play Store as soon as restore finished, and uncheck the option to automatically update all apps so that the previous, working version of TB would stay in place as long as I didn't manually update. Tons of negative, one-star reviews popping up on Play Store, so hopefully the team at Titanium Track will fix this ASAP or at least revert the previous version. Just a heads up. I think I am going to leave automatic updating off for the foreseeable future anyway now, lesson learned!

20. cmichael258

cmichael258 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2012
    Male
    Social Services
    St. Pete Florida
    First, thank you for all of the great information!

I'm currently running jdsingle's [ROM][MK5][STOCK][ODEXED]- Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile and would like to try Carbon. Do I need to wipe cache/dalvik and will I need to flash a GApps package?

21. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Great choice on using JD's ROM for stock purposes, and also great choice on wanting to try Carbon. If you have read the OP, which I assume, then I highly recommend Philz Touch Recovery for starters. You will want to do the full wipe, as you are changing ROM's completely. There is also a world of difference going from TouchWiz to AOSP, so that just a wipe of cache and Dalvik will not leave your phone in proper condition to change over. In Philz, the wipe option you want is called "Clean to install new ROM." I used Carbon almost exclusively, except for testing out other ROM's, for all of October and November, prior to the release of KitKat, and absolutely love it. The last build I was using was from November 8, 2013, and it was solid. You will also need GApps, this will be the case for any AOSP ROM; make sure you select GApps for 4.3.x, as other versions, such as 4.4.x, won't be compatible. If you are not comfortable yet with modifying a Sprint ROM to flash, I can PM you a copy of Carbon I modified for personal use. I can also upload the correct GApps if you want, otherwise just follow the link I posted in part two of this tutorial for the Paranoid Android GApps packages, they aren't maintaining the 4.3.x version anymore, but it is still available to download. Good luck!

22. cmichael258

cmichael258 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2012
    Male
    Social Services
    St. Pete Florida
    Thanks for your response and assistance. I'm currentyu using Philz and will wipe per your instructions. I 'll also refer to previous post for the links for Carbon and the 4.3 GApps.

Forgot to ask...will I need to flash MK5 or is it included?

23. papa b

papa b Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    USA
    Does PhilZ "Clean to install new ROM" all that we need use or should we use it in addition to other wipe options?

In other words, does that option also perform all of the other wipes?

24. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Your modem will stay until you choose to change it. Modem is always going to be independent of ROM.

25. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    None

Oct 9, 2012
    Male
    Colorado
    Clean to install takes care of all your needs.

vsanch24 and papa b like this.