1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root [Virgin Mobile] All-In-One Custom ROM User Guide

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by struckn, Nov 6, 2013.

1. struckn

struckn Android Expert
    VIP Member Thread Starter

OK folks, I finally broke down and made a video to go with the main focus of the tutorial! I will link it here and in the OP, please feel free to let me know what you think of it, but keep in mind that this was a first-time thing for me. I do believe that I will make more videos as the need arises, in order to provide a visual reference to go along with the customization/tweaks/mods I like to do on my phone, especially if this one is well received.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZnYSrUIXKM

Link in OP is after the relevant section, scroll down almost to the end of the OP.

Advertisement

2. Tokens210

Tokens210 Android Expert

Very nice idea

This device I in particular felt a Lil more comfortable diving into, although if I woulda stoppped here 24hr earlier I wouldn't have Knox lol but that's not the point lol

But with other devices I like to read,read,read as much as I can but I also like visuals, the old monkey see monkey do, that way the things your seeing arnt totally new to ya

So again I believe this is a very good idea struckn, may also benifit the community as well, maybe less question will be asked pertaining to things u cover in the videos

I plan to check it out as soon as I'm at my PC after work

struckn likes this.
  3. mg1986

mg1986 Newbie

Tried to flash cm-11 changed the script file and even tried your already modified files but i still get the error 7.

Older carbon rom still flashes back fine.
    I tried factory wipe / clear cache / clear dv

Any ideas?

4. struckn

struckn Android Expert

What recovery are you using?

5. mg1986

mg1986 Newbie

6. struckn

struckn Android Expert

Outdated, can't handle KitKat. You need to switch to the latest version of Philz.

mg1986 likes this.
  7. struckn

struckn Android Expert

Glad you got it working! Still recommend Philz over all others though. For anyone else reading this, here is a quote straight from the OP of the tutorial:

Update 12/16/2013:

So it is now virtually unanimous here at the forums, Philz Touch Recovery is the ONLY way to go (sorry TWRP); it is the only recovery for which I have seen ZERO issues reported, and it has handled all my needs exceptionally well, especially now that Android 4.4.x KitKat is a going concern. TWRP was solid until version 2.6.3.1 was released, which was supposed to allow flashing of 4.4.x ROM's (version 2.6.3.0 failed to flash them due to changes in the KitKat builds) but that version was a disaster on my phone; as far as CWM, it just seems downright incompatible with this particular phone. If you haven't installed Philz yet, don't complain that something didn't flash or mount properly, which will happen at some point with the other two recoveries.

upconvert likes this.
  8. mg1986

mg1986 Newbie

I am having camera issues and phantom voice mails. Which Philz file do i need d2spr.zip or d2spr.tar.md5? thanks

9. papa b

papa b Member

If you want to flash from your current recovery then use the zip file. The md5 can be installed with Odin.

I recommend using the zip.

mudflap2020, struckn and mg1986 like this.
  10. mudflap2020

mudflap2020 Android Enthusiast

What lines shoud I delete here and put mount]"ext" ???
    Here is the txt assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "d2spr" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "d2spr" ||
    getprop("ro.product.device") == "d2spi" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "d2spi" ||
    getprop("ro.product.device") == "d2tfnspr" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "d2tfnspr" || abort("This package is for \"d2spr,d2spi,d2tfnspr\" devices; this is a \"" + getprop("ro.product.device") + "\"."););
    assert(getprop("ro.bootloader") == "L710VPBLJ7" ||
    getprop("ro.bootloader") == "L710VPBMA6" ||
    getprop("ro.bootloader") == "L710VPBMB1" ||
    getprop("ro.bootloader") == "L710VPBMD4" ||
    getprop("ro.bootloader") == "L710VPAMD7" ||
    getprop("ro.bootloader") == "L710VPUCMK3" ||
    getprop("ro.bootloader") == "S960LWYAMD6");
    mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");
    package_extract_file("system/bin/backuptool.sh", "/tmp/backuptool.sh");
    package_extract_file("system/bin/backuptool.functions", "/tmp/backuptool.functions");
    set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/backuptool.sh");
    set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/tmp/backuptool.functions");
    run_program("/tmp/backuptool.sh", "backup");
    unmount("/system");
    show_progress(0.500000, 0);
    ui_print("**********************************************");
    ui_print("* ____ _ _ _ *");
    ui_print("*| __ ) ___ __ _ _ __ ___| |_ __ _| | | __*");
    ui_print("*| _ \ / _ \/ _` | '_ \/ __| __/ _` | | |/ /*");
    ui_print("*| |_) | __/ (_| | | | \__ \ || (_| | | < *");
    ui_print("*|____/ \___|\__,_|_| |_|___/\__\__,_|_|_|\_\*");
    ui_print("* *");
    ui_print("**********************************************");
    ui_print("******************************************");
    ui_print("************ BEANSTALK ROM *************");
    ui_print("******************************************");
    ui_print("* Compiled: Mon Jan 20 17:12:03 EST 2014");
    ui_print("* Device: SPH-L710 (d2spr)");

11. upconvert

upconvert Well-Known Member

Read the first two posts. The easiest thing is to change one of those bootloaders to ours.

mudflap2020 likes this.
  12. mudflap2020

There are a lot of assert and sprint bootloader numbers, which one do I change, I just need a clear way of finding out which line I can change specifically, there like 10 assert lines with Sprint border so that's why I'm confused

13. struckn

struckn Android Expert

So for those of you who have watched the video I made to go with this tutorial (and hopefully liked it!), any requests/suggestions for my next video? I have had one suggestion for a walkthrough of Philz Touch, which I am strongly leaning toward, once I figure out a good way to use my webcam to record the screen so that it doesn't turn out like a lot of videos I have seen where the user is holding the phone and things are not "steady." Feel free to post or PM!

mudflap2020 likes this.
  14. upconvert

You can change any one of them to our #.

mudflap2020 likes this.
  15. cmichael258

cmichael258 Well-Known Member

I agree; the Philz Touch video would be a good one. It's an amazing Recovery and can so much.

16. mudflap2020

im so lost in this procces that I think I need a toolkit, everytime I try , wait did someone say I can change one of the allowed bootloaders(question mark) my phone still haves hope of getting slimbean

17. struckn

struckn Android Expert

Everyone who is an avid user of Philz Touch needs to check out the dialogue between Phil and XDA member CNexus yesterday in the Sprint SGS3 Philz thread, which is maintained by CNexus; there is some really useful information regarding the state of 4.3 and 4.4 ROM's and why certain recoveries have issues flashing various Android versions. Start at post #262, and read the next few posts from there.

XDA Thread for Philz Touch (Sprint SGS3)

Then head to the main Philz thread and check out the FAQ section, #10 and #11 specifically:

Philz Touch FAQ Section

Looks like it pays to be on the cutting edge in this case, in terms of running the best (!) recovery available along with the most current Android builds!

wyelkins likes this.
  18. struckn

struckn Android Expert

So I have recently been blessed to be part of some "Pay It Forward" action on the Boost side of the forums (avid Chivers will also know it as a "Random Act of Kindness" or "RAK"). I would like to do the same for my friends here on the VM side of the forums. Whether it be a desire/need for some gently used or new phone accessories, or a family member/friend/neighbor needs help buying groceries because money is tight, or anything in between, please shoot me a PM with some details. There will be a need for a little personal information like a shipping address or an email address, depending on the situation. My only request is that the recipient then does something for another forum member, whatever is within their means. The users of the combined VM/Boost forums have become like a second family to me, and I think it would be cool to see something like this spread beyond the help and advice we all offer each other on a daily basis!

19. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Extreme Android User

Awesome! :D:thumbup:

mudflap2020 likes this.
  20. mudflap2020

Do I just remove asserts for kernels too?, can I even flash sprint kernels?, they shouldn't come with a boot loader correct? Can someone please reply there is a sprint kernel no would like to b flash, can you help me out?

21. upconvert

You can flash the dkp sprint kernel with no modifications.

22. struckn

struckn Android Expert

23. struckn

struckn Android Expert

Very randomly, here is a zip file of a bunch of wallpapers I have downloaded over the last couple of years. No real rhyme or reason to them, just that they look nice, especially on this phone. Can't possibly credit all of the places I have downloaded them from-some are from the website The Chive, some are from Wicked Sensations ROM, some are from various wallpaper apps, but none are actually "mine" and I am not taking any original artistic credit. Enjoy!

Wallpapers.zip

upconvert likes this.
  24. struckn

struckn Android Expert

Update available for Philz Touch recovery today. Don't be confused by what he has done to remove Status 7 errors, the part of the updater-script which pertains to the device check is not bypassed, just the bootloader part, so modifying is still necessary when flashing a custom Sprint ROM.

cmichael258 and upconvert like this.
  25. nab2385

nab2385 Lurker

didn't notice if this was answered, I may have overlooked it. does this method only work for aosp roms? or if there is a touchwiz rom that can be found and edited to be flashed on our phones? sorry if this is a dumb question... just wondering.