1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Virgin Mobile] Alternative OS for Victory

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by geekhandstrong, Dec 2, 2013.

1. geekhandstrong

geekhandstrong Well-Known Member

i've been doing a bit of research (browsing) and have recently come across several new independent mobile OS platforms, namely firefox OS, ubuntu touch and sailfish.
    i fully realize that these are not even ready for primetime, but is there any dev going on for the victory?
    i'm also quite intrigued by mobile devices with dual boot capabilities. having our custom roms running alongside a vanilla stock OS would be the absolute best of both worlds.

any thoughts?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Aniro

Aniro Newbie

It sounds like nothing more than a pipe dream. I blame that on the internal storage of the Victory being as low as it is. If we can run it off of a micro SD.... then I can see it.

geekhandstrong likes this.
  3. geekhandstrong

yeah, the internal data is frustrating, especially with it not being compatible with apps2sd or something like that.

4. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert

Also nobody here that does that level of development anymore. That requires custom driver binaries, kernels, etc.

5. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

Link2sd works fine.

6. geekhandstrong

whenever I try to move anything, I always get this:[​IMG]

additionally when trying to create links, this happens:
    [​IMG]
    am I doing it all wrong?

7. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

Did you create a second ext4 partition on your sdcard? You have to do that first. Then when link2sd starts choose ext4. Then link apps don't try to move them, selecting link actually moves them and creates a symbolic link.
    Here is Teachme's awesome guide http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6245226

8. shanperr

shanperr Lurker

link2sd does work just fine alongside external2internal

9. rbheromax

rbheromax Android Expert

never say never guys :)

10. rbheromax

rbheromax Android Expert

well.....in case anyone was wondering....i went after the first option on the OP's list (firefox OS) b2g
    script to sync b2g code:
    http://dt11.net/rbheromax/config.sh
    repo manifest:
    http://dt11.net/rbheromax/repo.xml

i will prolly have a build done tomorrow ( I will compile in my 7th period class) so around like....3:05pm or so and i will mirror build on d-h.st around 4:30 (when i get home)

geekhandstrong, dibblebill and Madbat like this.
  11. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

Wow, already? This has most definitely piqued my curiosity. :cool:

How's the Firefox is build coming?

12. Madbat

Madbat Android Expert

@ billpenny:
    By the way you can also use twrp to create a 2nd ext4 partition on your SD card too
    First backup your SD card to your computer, this will wipe it.

[1]Place your sdcard in your phone

[2]Boot into recovery (these instruction use TWRP)

[3]Select Advanced, then select Partition SD Card

[4]Set the size you want for your storage space in kb (1024mb = 1gb), at least 2gb

[5]Choose EXT4

[6]Don't worry if it shows an error TWRP can't mount the 2nd partition so it thinks it errored

13. geekhandstrong

completely floored right now. in wanting to spark some creative dialog, this turned into a real possibility almost overnight. i know that there it a ton of work still left to do but for rbheromax and any other devs who wind up contributing to the project: i humbly thank you and salute you. unbelievable beasts!

14. bensocket.

bensocket. Lurker

I am hoping and praying that ubuntu touch will be available for victory! Linux is the way to go!

Samsung Galaxy Victory Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Victory release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 2100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews