1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root [Virgin Mobile] Android 4.4.2 VM SPH-L710

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmatherly411, May 2, 2014.

1. Last Updated on 05/16/2014. From the Samsung site with the KK for VM. That's why the VM site still shows JB because it just came out. :p I'm sure later on they'll update the page.

Advertisement

2. dennytechno

dennytechno Member

Well I'll be patiently impatiently waiting lol :p

3. peter counias

peter counias Android Enthusiast

Does anyone have a tar file for Odin yet for the virgin mobile version of 4.4.2 rom?!?
    Or will it be a week or so before that happens? ?

4. PS4AndroidHacker

PS4AndroidHacker Well-Known Member

If you read the responses, its not completely out yet. Samsung or Virgin Mobile only updated part of the link that was given. We are still waiting...sorry man. It was partially false.

5. GTWolf

GTWolf Member

Hey all,

Slightly off-topic but does Sprint hotspot work for anyone else with no modification needed? To be clear I'm on virgin and I flashed the odexed version of the update.

Went to look into Wi-Fi tethering(something I've been meaning to do forever and finally bit the bullet) and figured I'd just try the native app for kicks. Worked right away with no problems. Just curious if I'm a one-off or if it works for anyone else.

6. dennytechno

dennytechno Member

No one has gotten the ota. I don't even think samsung knows we can see it lol. It'll probably be a couple weeks before we get it.. since there trying to push 4.4.3 out to the s3's tho. Only time will tell

7. jdsingle76

jdsingle76 Android Enthusiast

There is a working hotspot mod over at XDA. Works fine. I'm on Boost, just had to flash it in recovery.

GTWolf likes this.
  8. TheBritton

TheBritton Resident Galaxy Cat

Strangely, the hotspot worked for me before flashing the fix. Not sure why.

I flashed the fix anyway though to be safe in the future.

GTWolf likes this.
  9. pOsSuM72

pOsSuM72 Android Enthusiast

Works for me still too.

10. cmichael258

cmichael258 Well-Known Member

When the official VM 4.4.2 is released, what will it have that we can't currently get with the likes of the Carbon, LS ROMS et al (besides Knox)?

iMaYG likes this.
  11. 6burgh

6burgh Newbie

bloatware?

12. jdsingle76

It's TW for one, which some people prefer. And it comes with the latest modem and Samsung goodies. It's all about personal preference I guess :)

dennytechno likes this.
  13. Hatchasaurus

Hatchasaurus Member

Well, ideally, it would mean a base ROM that supposedly works perfectly for the S3.
    Realistically it means that ROM developers would have access to one ROM that was specifically created for this device, rather than relying on the guess work we currently have.
    I actually enjoyed the TW ROMs, minus the VM bloatware of course. Knox is basically a non-issue for me, as my work does not have a BYOD program.

14. xstefen

xstefen Android Expert

I wonder if they'll update their horrible TW status bar. Only time will tell

15. TheBritton

Just noticed 1X 800 showing up suddenly on SignalCheck Pro.

Any thoughts?[​IMG]

Edit: It's back to 1X RTT when the signal became stronger..

16. bob-st

bob-st Android Enthusiast

Is your stock MMS working? Everything works for me... except the stock MMS.

17. iMaYG

iMaYG Android Enthusiast

I've had the same problem as you. Flash the universal APN fix and everything will work. Even stock mms

bob-st likes this.
  18. bob-st

bob-st Android Enthusiast

I'm gonna re-flash the rom and the apn zip.

Edit: OK looks like MMS is working now. Thanks

19. jmatherly411

jmatherly411 Android Enthusiast

Congrats, they have fired up 800 SMR (1x 800) in your area, there is a good chance that there is also 800 LTE as well (maybe its time to invest in a tri-band device:idea:). If your on the stock 33030 PRL your phone will want to hang on to that 1900 PCS signal for as long as possible, once you have left the PCS range 800 will pick up. Once your on 1x 800 your phone will also scan for 1900 PCS, if it finds it it will switch back over to 1x RTT (1900).

You should also find yourself parked on 800 in areas where you didn't have 1900 coverage like in large buildings, malls, fringe areas of 1900 PCS, etc.

TheBritton likes this.
  20. PS4AndroidHacker

PS4AndroidHacker Well-Known Member

Anybody have any further news on a KK update from VM? I'm getting impatient and may do a manual update through Odin to the sprint KK.
    EDIT: Straight from a Virgin Mobile rep: The KK update is still TBD(To Be Determined). More waiting, may as well do a manual update lol

21. kwknott

kwknott Android Expert

All your really waiting on for the VM update is carrier specific branding and bloat which isn't hard to fix.

22. jdsingle76

Man's got a point. The Sprint kk builds work fine, and we now have odex/deodexed zips as well. AND there's a deknox/debloat out as well. So why wait? I promise you it won't be different lol

TheBritton likes this.
  23. TheBritton

Yes, there are no bugs whatsoever. I'm running it. Everything works. It's a very smooth rom!

24. xstefen

xstefen Android Expert

Flashing the .tar.md5 right now.
    Official KK?.. Meh why not

25. MaRz0o

MaRz0o Member

I'm running 4.3 MK5 Stock Deodex Rom right now. What steps did you take into flashing the Sprint ND8 ROM?