• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] APN Settings for Google Hangouts

Higgs_Boson

Aug 13, 2013
As some of you may, or may not, know, the general public received an update for Google Hangouts today, which brought the ability for the user to manually set an APN.

I still have my old apns-conf.xml file from 4.1.2. However, I still haven't gotten to rooting stock 4.3 yet, and wanted to make sure there weren't any changes to the APN that wouldn't be compatible with 4.3.

Can somebody give me a link to, or provide the APN settings, so that I can see if MMS is working with this latest update? Please, and thank you.

umu4utys.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm not seeing where to set this inside hangouts. Perhaps I'm missing something simple.

I don't see it either. There was an update to Hangouts on 12/13/2013, which would have been after the original set of posts in this thread, so very likely that feature was removed or hidden. Currently, the only method I know for accessing APN's is through the Voice Dialler.

Upvote 0
Are you able to send MMS over wifi? And is this Android 4.3 MK5?

I have ZERO issues sending or receiving MMS, either from home (WiFi) or out and about (data). I have the MG2 bootloader, currently using the MK5 modem, and running CM11 more often than anything else. Hangouts has actually sent MMS quicker for me than stock AOSP messaging app ever did; if Team Blackout would get this newest version themed to black and transparent options, I would be really happy with Hangouts, especially given my skepticism from a couple of weeks ago when I started using it.

Upvote 0
I too have reproduced the posted settings and cannot receive MMS. I am on the latest Stock modem and rom. Any other ideas on how to get MMS working?

***Edit***
Mine are now working with the posted settings. I had to delete the hangout thread all together for any which had a failed MMS. Then the next time the Virgin mobile network pushed it to me again it displayed properly.

Upvote 0
@struckn,

With your current setup (MG2 BL, and MK5 modem), are you able to send and receive pictures and group messages via MMS?

I was always able to achieve successful send/receive of picture messaging (MMS), but never able to get group messaging (MMS) working; no matter how I tweaked the APN settings in Hangouts.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
OK folks, talented developer Cjen1987 over at XDA (he has a couple of KitKat ROM's that he maintains very well, sometimes updating two or three times in one day if need be!) has released a mod for all variants of the SPH-L710 which *should* fix APN settings. This mod is basically all the possible APN's available for Sprint, VM, Boost, and a few other carriers that are under the Sprint umbrella. He has also included an .apk file which will give direct access to the APN settings. The APN mod and .apk are also now being included as part of his ROM's. I don't know if this will help anyone having issues, Hangouts or otherwise, but I don't think it will hurt to try. My current setup works flawlessly, but I might still flash this just to give it a whirl. Would love to hear back on some users who flash this, and if it works don't forget to give Cjen1987 a "thanks" over on his thread, maybe a quick post as well to let people know if it worked.

Link Removed see edit below

Edit 12/29/2013:

Thanks the the sharp eye of @junkie2100, it looks like this mod is nothing more than a repackage with no proper credit given to MopedRyder. Disabling link and this will not become part of my tutorial. Stick with what MopedRyder has provided, he is the man!

Upvote 0
So I recently upgrade to CM 11, and without flashing anything on the ROM, I was able to send/receive MMS on Hangouts over 3G but not on Wifi. Has anyone been able to send/receive over Wifi? Also, I noticed there is no option to enter in APNs in Hangouts, rather it is replaced by a "Wireless Alerts" tab.

Upvote 0
So I recently upgrade to CM 11, and without flashing anything on the ROM, I was able to send/receive MMS on Hangouts over 3G but not on Wifi. Has anyone been able to send/receive over Wifi? Also, I noticed there is no option to enter in APNs in Hangouts, rather it is replaced by a "Wireless Alerts" tab.

I have had zero issues on either 3G or WiFi when using Hangouts for both SMS and MMS. I use the APN fix from MopedRyder for MMS both ways, it has worked well for me on 4.3.x in the past and now on 4.4.x, especially CM11. Pretty sure the APN option in Hangouts was removed with the December 13 update. You can access your APN's two ways in CM11:

1. Open Voice Dialler app, then say either "Open APN" or "Edit APN" slowly and clearly (I always include the slowly and clearly part because Google has the worst time picking up my deep voice, so I have to speak to it like a child lol!)

2. Using Nova Launcher, long press on screen, choose Shortcuts/Activities/Settings/APNs and Nova will add a shortcut on your home screen

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones